Chapter One-The Highlander Laird

Bang!
The door flew open and clattered against the wall. My eyes shot open and I jumped into a sitting position, my hands grazing the hilt of my sword, hidden beside my cot. 

Aila barged inside, her green eyes wild with fury, hair in a distraught mess. Her mouth was set in such a firm line that it send my heart staggering.

"wake up and wake up now! it's time we go, Lord Ferguson has come, the inevitable Lana the inevitable!"

It was then that my ears caught on to the hubbub outside. Screams and murderous battle cries. A cacophony promising chaos...either there was a fire or we were under attack.

"Yes! he's laying siege on the clan!", Aila screamed.

In Instances like those, questions tend to invade our mind. But it was very well a race against time. I left the bed and ran to my window. My breath hitched.

Outside, red dominated my perusal.
I could see my soldiers fighting vainly a hoard of relentless opponents. A massacre it was, since outnumbered we were. A jerk flew me crashing onto the wall. Wide eyed, I starred in horror at Aila. Her mouth was twisted in an angry snarl. Her beautiful face was yet accusing and bewitching at the same time.

'it's all your fault! you should have married him you fool! what an utter disgrace you are Alana!" her tone was so venomous that her words rang over and over again like a spell.

I was torn.
Laird Ferguson had asked for my hand a while back. But there was always something off about the Laird. Face perennially greasy, he looked at me as if I were a meal.  It didn't make me comfortable. He had this odd mannerism of itching his neck and my eyes couldn't stop from going to the cracked, unhealthy looking dry skin. There was not a bone in me attracted to this foul smelling drunkard. I've been told he drank all the time, chugging on his beer even when he rammed into his several concubines. After such a derogatory image was stretched onto my mind, I naturally refused his proposal, my father compiling under my desire.

It would be honestly underrated to say that Ferguson's ego had eaten a big blow.  He wanted me and that much was very clear. He did not handle the rejection with enthusiasm and swore revenge. No one took him seriously...

My ma ran into the room, pushing my sister aside and grabbing my arm with such fervour, casted a nasty glance at my sister.

"do not ever accuse your sister of such brutal actions! have I raised my daughters so well to have you each trying to eat each other's head off while we're under attack?!"
If there was someone who I truly looked up to was my mama. Tall in height, she was truly a Lady of laudable demeanour. Her mien was that of a fighter while her eyes overall held affection for her closed ones.
But today, eyes red with unshed tears, face striken with disapprobation and fear, my own World crashed down.

"ma-"

Lady Alana Hepburn was taking a much needed nap when Lady Ailith barged briskly into her bedchambers, looking distraught. The door clanging noisily against the walls of the bedchambers was what awoke Alana up. The state of her elder sister commandeered her attention and her blood ran cold. Ailith's wrist was curled tightly around the hilt of her sword.

"Lilly?! What happened? H-how come dae ye look so distraught as such?!" Alana asked, pushing her plaid aside and getting out of bed.

Ailith rushed to her, took her by the shoulders and shook the bonny lass.

"The clan is under attack Lana!" She stressed out, taking her by the arm. Alana nearly lost her footing. She went alabaster pale and Lilly was scared that she would swoon. Her heart palpitated and her hands grew clammy.