Chapter Seven

It's been two weeks since our encounter with Andy's dad. Tonight is the last show of the tour and it's in our home town in Jersey.
"Hey Alex?" Mikey asks.
"Yeah Mikey?"
"Mom and I were wondering if you would want to move in with Gerard in LA. We don't want him to be alone with how he is right now and he seems to listen to you the best. Andy would go with you." he asks.
I nod, "Alright, I'd probably have to get a job, wouldn't I?" I ask.
"Mom and I have that covered. You can teach music lessons to people at the music store near Gee's house." Mikey says. I nod.
"I'll pack when I get home." I say.
I go to Andy's bunk to tell him the news.
"I have a friend who lives around there." he says, "His name is CC" Andy says.
"Well I can't wait to meet him." I say.
"I have more internet friends then anything." He says.
"Where do they all live?" I ask.
"One lives in Missouri, another in Hawaii  and one more in Iowa." Andy says. I nod.
"Maybe we could go on a road trip and visit them. I think it would be fun." I say. "After we get settled in at Gee's."

After the show that night we all go back to moms house. I pack up all the stuff I need and we stay the night there. I told Andy not to tell his friends about the road trip yet.
The next morning before we leave mom pulls me aside.

"Alex, sweetheart. I want you to be careful. I know you can handle this but you are pretty much going to be the adult in that house. Gerard isn't in a good place right now. I need you to keep him from... doing things he'll regret. Try to sober him up maybe. He'll listen to you, that's why I need you to go. When you and Andy go on that trip, have Frankie watch Gee. Be careful." She reaches into her purse. "This is for your trip. Use is carefully." She hands me a stack of hundreds.

My jaw drops and I hug my mother. "Thank you mom, I gonna miss you. Are you sure you'll be fine here alone?" I ask. She nods.
"I'll be fine. Don't worry about me." she says. I wipe away the tear that was rolling down my cheek. "Goodbye sweetheart. I love you, don't ever forget that."
"Mom, I'm just moving, it's not like someone is dying. But I love you too."

Mikey's POV

"Mom, I'm just moving, it's not like someone is dying. But I love you too."
She has no idea. We don't want to tell her or Gerard because we don't want her to relapse. Alex had really bad depression. We don't want it to come back. Mom has stage 4 brain cancer. That's why she is moving in with Gerard. In reality I could take care of him but I don't want her here when she is going through this. I'm staying in Jersey.
Everyone gets in the bus and we drive to the airport. Everyone but me get's out. 
"Mikey, aren't you coming?" Alex asks.
"Uh, no, I have a few things to take care of here. I'll be in LA in a few months." I say. Frank, Bob and Ray look at me like they are about to cry. They knew about mom.
She nods, "let's go then. I love you Mike." she says while she hugs me.
"Love you too" I say. They all walk into the airport. The bus driver takes me back and leaves again. I walk into the house to grab mom and take her to her doctors appointment.
When we get in the car mom loses it.
"She's going to be fine mom. Andy will take care of her. I trust that kid."
"I know, it's just... what's gonna happen after I'm gone? How will she take it?" mom asks.
"I'll have to deal with that when the time comes."

We pull into the doctors office and walk in. They take us back quickly.
"Hello Mrs. Way. How are you doing?" the doctor asks.
"Fine, how about you?" she asks.
"Just fine, now let's get this treatment started. Shall we?" he asks. She nods.
They hook her up to the machine and start the treatment. The doctor pulls me away.
"Mikey, I have some bad news." he says. I nod, trying to hold back tears.
"She's only going to live about another week if she's lucky. The cancer has spread to fast that we think she only has a few more days." I nod again not being able to form words.
After moms treatment we go back to her house and I rush to my room. I fall onto the bed and break down. I don't want to lose my mom, she's my mom. You know?
I walk down stairs to see mom sitting on the couch reading a book. I just stand there and watch. Seeing her there, so happy is all that I could ask for.
Alex video chats mom. She quickly take out her oxygen tubes and puts on a wig. Then she answers the phone call.
"Hey sweetheart"