Chapter 3: Connection

Warning: Adult themes and violence

oOoOoOoOoOo

Chapter Three: Connection

I bolted.

I immediately hit a large immovable object, a man. A stranger.  He gripped my shoulders, holding me up.

The Burnett’s living room disappeared.

A burst of pain exploded in my face.  I braced myself against the wall.  It was sharp and rough, and cut into my hands.  

Hands grabbed at me.  Hands twice the size of my own.  They pulled at me, turning me around to face their owner. The owner of the hands that became fists.  I backed into the wall pinpricking my back.  I tightly shut my eyes refusing to see what would come next.  If I didn’t know it was going to happen it wouldn’t be real.

The hands began pulling at my shirt.  It would rip any moment.  I tried to push him away.  But he was stronger.  So much stronger.  I finally looked into his face.  It was angry, and full of need.  My shirt tore, and I tried to smack his hands away.  That made it worse. 

He was going to hit me again.  I promised myself I wouldn’t but I couldn’t hold it back.

I begged.

“Don’t hurt me.  Please don’t hurt me.”

And then it was gone.

Cool hands were holding my face.  These hands were still large, but nice—gentle.  They eased the phantom sting that lingered. 

I opened my eyes. I was on the floor.  Again.  And my comforter’s hands belonged to someone. 

Not just anyone. Will. 

He crouched over me in a protective stance above my body.  His face was fierce as he gazed into mine, eyes glancing back and forth, seeming unsure what to do. 

He was completely focused on me. 

I suddenly remembered we weren’t alone. 

Jack was hollering, “Don’t touch her man! I don’t know why, but she doesn’t like it. Keep your hands off of her!”

Will obviously heard him too, because he quickly jerked away his hands, their cool relief only a memory. 

He was pulled out of the way and replaced by the man.  The stranger.  Not that I was bosom friends with everyone else, but we had at least exchanged first names.  He was blond with Will’s eyes and Ali’s smile.  He kneeled next to me, and reached for my arm, probably to take my pulse. 

I yanked my hand to my chest and out of his grasp, searching the room for safety.  My eyes landed on Ali.  She was standing next to Jack, wringing her hands.  He stood defensively with his arms crossed, obviously unhappy with the situation. 

No kidding.  I wasn’t too enthused about it either. 

I looked imploringly at Ali, and she rushed to my side, crouching down.  She helped me into a sitting position, and let me scoot a few feet from… her father? 

Ali placed her arm around my shoulder and I unconsciously leaned in.  Mrs. Burnett stood in the corner of the room talking on a phone.  I caught snippets of the end of the conversation.  Something about fainting spells, and vomiting.  Awesome. 

“Cate, I’m David Burnett.  I’m a doctor. Sorry for stopping you earlier. Would it be okay if I took your pulse?”

I shook my head.