Chapter 21: Confidence

Warning: Adult themes and violence. Mention of physical and sexual assault.

oOoOoOoOoOo

Chapter Twenty-one: Confidence

Opening the door, I stepped back, shocked.

"Caterina!" my mother cried.

My body was frozen as she threw her arms around me and hugged me tight to her chest.

"Oh, my, you are getting so big! I've decided to come and help with the baby. You can't have a baby without your mother!" She beamed as she placed her hands on my growing tummy.

"Baby?" I heard Jack gasp a few yards behind me.

I turned to find Jack standing stock still, his eyes wide and mouth fixed. His eyes flickered between me, my mother, and my belly.

Ali stood a few feet behind him with intense concern etched on her face. She seemed lost as to what to do or what to say.

But worst of all was Will standing in the door frame of the kitchen with a murderous look directed at my mom.

Fudge.

That's right. Double Fudge.

I took another step back, almost tripping over my crutches. Fortunately, Jack was still frozen in shock and didn't try to catch me.

I waved my arms in the air like wings, catching my balance.

My mother laughed. "Well, you haven't gotten any more graceful." She set down her purse on the atrium table and casually brushed at her clothing, smoothing out the wrinkles.

Finally, my brain caught up and I said, "Mom, what are you doing here?"

She smiled condescendingly at me. But before she got a chance to respond, Will was standing in front of me glaring menacingly at my mother.

"What the heck do you think you are doing?" he growled.

Susanne blanched for a moment, but nothing fazed her. She placed her hand on her hip, asking, "Excuse me?"

You're excused, I wanted to say.

"How dare you come here? After what you've put Cate through?"

Mom laughed insincerely. "I'm Caterina's mother and I'm here because she needs me." She gestured to me with her hand. "Just look at her."

Will stared at her, obviously frustrated with his lack of intimidation. She took the time to close the door behind her and looked around like she owned the place.

"Not bad. I'm surprised that Jake has done so well with himself." She leaned conspiratorially towards us. "He never really did have a knack for anything but police work."

I heard a growl rumble out of Will's throat. His back was rigid, and I could barely see over his shoulder to Mom. He kept positioning himself between us every time she moved.

"You ditched her!" His voice was sharp. "She trusted you, and you didn't stand by her!"

Mom's head snapped to Will's face. I could see her inner bitch emerge. "Who do you think you are questioning me about my own daughter? I was doing what was right for her!" She looked at me pointedly over his shoulder. "And if she is not going to follow my good advice then I'll have to go along with whatever disaster she brings on herself."

Her eyes returned to his face, and they had what I could only imagine to be an intense staring competition. Neither was moving, barely breathing.

The room was eerily silent like the stillness before a storm. Like the quiet after a screeching crow falls. Like the emptiness of a deserted house.