Chapter 22: Courage

Chapter Twenty-two: Courage

Thank goodness for the Burnetts. When we arrived Saturday evening Mrs. Burnett had dinner on the table for us and an extra plate already set out for me.

She rushed to me as soon as we entered the house.

"Cate! How are you darling?" She gave me a tight hug, patting my back. My belly pressed firmly into her.

Pulling away, Mrs. Burnett gave me a knowing smile before she gently touched my stomach. I raised my eyebrows at her, which made her smile only blossom.

"I'm okay, under the circumstances." I alluded to, but didn't confirm her obvious suspicions. I didn't think that anyone would have broken my confidence, but for some reason I thought she had just figured it out.

"Oh yes, Jake called! You poor thing, you've had quite the weekend." She led me into the dining room, patiently waiting as I hobbled after her. Will followed us close behind.

"I'll put your bag in my room! Ooo and I need to prep the hot wax!" Ali said behind us. I looked over my shoulder and watched her skip off to her room.

I didn't choose to hold in the groan.

"Come right back. Dinner is ready, Ali!" Mrs. Burnett called. "Will, can you set out drinks for everyone?"

He was standing close to me. Mrs. Burnett reached over and put her arm over his shoulder. She leaned in and motherly pecked him on the cheek. He rolled his eyes, but went about the task.

She angled towards me. "How are you really doing?"

I looked up to see Will keeping his eye on me, but he was obviously out of earshot. He squinted one eye and cocked his head waiting for me. I nodded, and he continued filling glasses with water.

"I'm okay. I understand my mother, but I don't get her."

"I don't mean to pry, but why is she here?" She took my hand in her own, placing her other on top.

I looked away, anywhere but in her inquisitive eyes. "She wants me to live my life by her rules, and I couldn't do it anymore."

She patted my hand. "I can't be sure without knowing the details, but as a mom, we're not perfect. We make mistakes."

I nodded. "I know. She wants what's best for me. But sometimes what she thinks is best for me isn't what I think is best for...me."

She smiled, rubbing her top hand over mine. "You?"

I extricated my hand from hers and placed both protectively on my middle. "Not just me anymore."

"Then, my dear, it is up to you. Take counsel, but in the end it's your decision." She stood up, brushing her hand along my arm, heading into the kitchen.

I sighed. I knew this. It was why I'd left.

oOoOoOoOoOo

I found myself sitting in the dark in the living room late that night. I'd fallen asleep earlier on Ali's bed in the middle of her beauty treatments.  I was sure I'd get an earful tomorrow for not letting her adequately finish.

My nails looked great, actually. I was surprised I didn't have black or hot pink or crazy smiley faces or flowers. Ali must have picked the color and polished them after I konked out because I really didn't remember choosing one.

I'd woken to another nightmare. Somehow I'd kept myself from screaming. It was a plus—I'd come to accept the simple blessings. I couldn't fall back asleep, the memories haunting me. I'd moved restlessly to the living room, hoping action would lull me back to sleep.