Chapter 17: Candor

Warning: Adult themes and violence.

oOoOoOoOoOo

Chapter Seventeen: Candor

I grabbed a drink someone handed me. I didn't know who. I only took two sips before I threw it out. The beer was disgusting, but I knew something stronger was thrown in because my tongue started to feel numb.

My head began to throb. I hate parties. I always do. I have no idea why I'm here.

I felt my way to an empty room. It had posters on the wall and an old pool table in the center. The ceiling fan was on low, slowly going round and round. I found it hypnotizing. The room started spinning.

I stumbled awkwardly to the farthest corner of the room. My hands helped me stay upright as I moved as quickly as my body would let me without falling over.

Just what I need, more difficulty standing.

I reached the corner and turned so I could watch the door. There was a window nearby and it was open. I hoped the cool air would help my dizziness.

I only had two sips. What happened? Why do I feel so weird?

I slunk down to the floor and placed my head between my knees. Maybe I was having an allergic reaction. I sluggishly reached for my cell phone in my pocket, tugging it from the tight jeans. My hands fumbled and I watched it roll a few feet away.

I reached out for it but it was just out of grasp. The tips of my fingers touched it, but every movement pushed it farther away. I pulled my hand back and leaned my head on my knees, watching my phone, wishing it was closer.

The door to the room opened a crack, and a person I didn't recognize peeked in. Whoever it was saw me and closed the door again.

He or she was probably going for help. I'd be fine. I just had to wait.

I tilted my head back, breathing in the damp air that wafted in through the window. It wasn't raining when I arrived at the Jacksons', but it was Lakebay. It was always wet.

I breathed slowly in through my nose and out through my mouth. I ignored the sharp texture on the wall biting into my back. Even when I closed my eyes I could see the ceiling fan, whirling around, around, around, around. The dizziness only got worse. The room spun as if it was on a tilt-a-whirl.

I heard the door open, and the music, loud and blaringly indecipherable, cut into the seclusion of my room. The music faded as the door clicked shut.

I opened my eyes, squinting and trying to focus. "Jimmy! Help me. I need to go home." My words slurred.

He sauntered slowly towards me. I watched as he dragged his fingers along the edge of the pool table, his eyes always on me.

"I don't feel good. Please, take me home." A tear crept down my cheek.

Jimmy squatted down in front of me and gently moved my hair out of my face, holding his hands to my head. He forced me to look up at him, tugging my hair in the process.

"I've been looking for you everywhere, Caterina." He smiled. "I always find you."

I sat up in bed, awakened by terror and my own scream.

My first thought was of Will. I needed Will.

After a few seconds, Dad flew into my room, gripping his gun tightly, searching my room for an intruder. It would have been comical if I weren't huddled against my headboard, shaking, covered in sweat, wishing that the only boy in the world who could touch me was here comforting me.