Chapter 3 - The Summer Ball

The lady Jane and the household staff well engaged in putting on the summer ball. This year's will be the first since Lizzie had been acknowledged as the heir to her late father's titles. She dreaded the whole experience. It was so different from the life that she had at University. Nonetheless, it had to be done. The young Duchess had no choice in the matter. The morning after her arrival at High Garden for the summer, Lizzie dressed in a light sweatshirt and tight-fitting American jeans that she thought would surely scandalize her lady mother. To humor her mother, she came down the main stairs and into the flurry of activity below. Lady Jane surely had half of the county employed setting up for this year's charity ball. To her surprise, the lady Jane was nonplussed by her daughter's wardrobe. "Quite sensible, Elizabeth. We have much work to do today. I'm sure that you will be more presentable when the time comes."

Lizzie rolled her eyes. "Yes mother, there will be no doubt of that."

Jane was diligently going over some sort of complicated seating chart on the computer at her desk in the library which was just off of the great room. She looked up and smiled at her daughter. "Elizabeth, I could use your help with some of the arrangements."

Lizzie rolled her eyes silently. "Of course mother. I received your email. Just check your inbox. My suggestions for auction items are all there in that attachment."

Jane brought up her email on the screen and stared at the message for a moment.

Lizzie rolled her eyes, took the mouse from Jane's hand, and clicked on the little paperclip symbol. The attached spreadsheet opened. "As you can see, I have secured donations of everything on your list and more. I can be very persuasive you know. Many of the smaller items have already been delivered. Thomas signed for everything last week, it must've slipped his mind to inform you. The rest are scheduled to be here this week. Everything will be locked up in father's new garage. With most of his cars gone, it will be perfect. We'll move it all to the pavilion the night before the auction."

"Oh, this is marvelous. How did you get so many donations? Yes, thank you, Elizabeth this is exactly what we needed to make this year a smashing success."

"Thank you, mother, I just made a few calls and twisted a few arms."

Jane smiled. "Well, you did exceptionally well my dear."

Elizabeth smiled in return. "Mother, I'll be back to help with everything and all the rest of it in an hour or so. In the meantime, I would dearly like to visit Ms. Clarke. I promised that I would see her as soon as I got home. We've not spoken for more than a few minutes since I left for school and she is my oldest and dearest friend. You do understand?"

Lady Jane smiled thinly and nodded. "Yes, of course. But I really could use your help with the seating charts. I don't know all of the young people."

Lizzie smiled. "Of course. I'll be back by tea time and we can go over every detail, just the two of us."

With that, Lizzie slipped out the side door to the old garage and spied her Vespa. True to form, Brandon had it ready to go. No doubt the fuel tank was full, tires checked and battery charged. The little blue scooter started on the first try. Lizzie made sure that her helmet was cinched down securely. This was yet another unspoken promise to her late father. She made her way down the wide drive to the village and then to Annie's house. She had, of course, sent a text so that her arrival would not be a surprise. To Lizzie's great delight, her childhood friend greeted her at the main circular drive of her family home as Lizzie rolled up in her little Vespa scooter. Lizzie shut the motor off, put her helmet on the handlebar, and shook out her long blonde hair. Almost before Lizzie could set the kickstand, Annie hugged her. "Oh, Lizzie. It's so good to see you! I know that we have talked on the phone but now you're home for the whole summer."