Chapter 10 - Aftermath

Later that same Christmas Eve morning just as Lizzie's plane was taking off, the Lady Jane arrived in the black Volvo at the front door of Annie's house. Annie had been expecting this eventuality and rushed down the main steps to greet her before her parents could. She opened the door and saw that Lady Jane was still quite upset. "Good morning Lady Jane, what may I do for you?"

"Where is Elizabeth, has she been here?"

Annie answered truthfully. "Yes, I took her to the train station early this morning; she went back to university."

Jane shook her head and rubbed a tear away from the corner of her eye. "I've made such a mess of this. I shall go there immediately and apologize to my daughter."

Annie also shook her head. "I'm afraid that she didn't go back to Merton."

Jane looked puzzled. "Where then?"

Once again Annie answered truthfully. "She wouldn't tell me. She transferred to another school and said that if I didn't know where I wouldn't have to lie about it."

"I see."

"Elizabeth also asked me to remind you that she would call you when she arrived so that you know that she is safe, but that you are not to come after her or send people looking for her."

Jane looked concerned. "Very well."

"Lady Jane, I hope that you are not mad at me?"

"No Anne, I'm afraid that I only have myself to blame."