Chapter 4 - The Plan

Near the end of her third semester at Oxford, if one counted the previous abbreviated summer session, Lizzie was busy studying in her room when her iPhone rang. The ringtone indicated that it was her best friend Annie from back home. She smiled and answered. "Hello Anne, it is nice to hear from you."

"You too Liz, I miss you. How is uni going this year?"

Lizzie laughed as she answered. "Quite well, but a bit more work than I had imagined."

Annie laughed in return. "Well, I for one am very proud of you! Are you a junior yet?"

"Yes, I will be at the end of this term. My summers have proven to be profitable in that regard."

Annie smiled. "You are amazing Lizzie, most people take five years, you will be done in less than four."

"Thank you. It's much appreciated. And to tell the truth I'm also enjoying the anonymity. No one at Merton gives a hoot who I am. I'm just another student. It's very nice."

Anne hesitated a bit and then blurted out. "Lizzie, I did call for reason, um..."

Lizzie sensed the unease in her oldest friend's voice. "Go ahead Anne, what is it? We've shared everything with each other since we were little girls."

"Lizzie, you are not secretly dating anyone of rank are you?"

Lizzie laughed again. "No, not that I haven't had a few offers mind you. But no, I won't be distracted with any of that here. My roommates and I do go on group dates to concerts, art shows, and of course to attempt the round the world game; you know to have a pint at every pub in Oxford."

"So you are not dating Edward Huddleston?"

This question got Lizzie's attention; she sat up straight. "No, of course not. I barely know him. Seems like a nice enough chap."

"Yes, and he is Sir Edward now, but you are not dating him?"

"No, I assure you that I am not Anne. Do tell me what this is about?"

"Liz, you are not going to like this. I overheard your mother telling my mother that it is all but arranged. Your engagement to Edward will be announced at your family Christmas ball on December 23rd."

There was a long pause for what seemed to Annie to last a thousand years give or take. Then she heard her friend simply whisper. "Damn."

"I'm so sorry Lizzie. What do you want me to do?"

Lizzie thought for a moment more. "Nothing, thank you so much. You are a good friend Annie. I guess what you can do is don't let on that you know anything. Don't tell anyone that we spoke of this okay?"

"Sure, I'm good with secrets you know."

"Anne, after the last Summer Ball fiasco, I was afraid the dear mum would try this again. So I have been formulating a contingency plan to deal with the situation if it should arise. I'll finish the semester here and will be home for the holidays. At that time, I will need your help in a couple of minor matters to carry it off."

"Of course L, anything short of digging a shallow grave in the woods in the middle of the night. Just tell me what you want me to do."

Lizzie chuckled. "No it won't come to that but, I will put an end to her meddling in my love life once and for all. I'll see you in a few weeks Anne thank you again, bye now."

Lizzie put the iPhone down, cursed a few of her favorites under her breath, and then began to laugh hysterically until tears ran down her cheeks. She shook her head in dismay. "Secret engagement, we shall see about that lady Jane."

The following Tuesday at 12:45 PM, Lizzie walked through the cold rain to one of the administration buildings. She took the back stairs to the third floor and then to a nondescript corner office. The engraved plaque on the ancient wooden door read simply: H. Snowe, Ph.D., ED, Dean of Special Admissions.

Lizzie turned the shiny brass knob and opened the massive oak door. She was greeted by an equally ancient secretary. The kindly old woman had been working at Oxford for as long as anyone could remember. She looked up from her handwritten appointment book and smiled warmly. "Ah, Ms. Wilson. Please have a seat, you're a bit early I'm afraid. Dr. Snowe is with another student."

Lizzie smiled in return. "Thank you Miss Haversham, my father always taught me to be five minutes early after all."

Iris Haversham knew exactly who Lizzie was. She had been dealing with the special needs of the Royal family and their cousins and understood the need for discretion. It was said that she knew some of Albert and Victoria's children and grandchildren but that was perhaps a bit of an exaggeration. A few minutes later, the inner door opened and Dr. Snowe escorted a young woman out of his office. She appeared to be somewhat distraught. Lizzie recognized the short woman from campus but did not know her or her station personally. They nodded cordially to each other and the brown-haired girl stepped to Miss Haversham's desk and whispered something to her. Dr. Snowe beamed at Lizzie and held out his large warm hand. "Good afternoon Ms. Wilson, please come in."

The old man tugged at his pointed gray beard and gestured to a pair of leather chairs in the inner office which had been there since Victoria's reign. Lizzie sat down and let the Dean speak first. "Ms. Wilson, what can I do for you? I checked your academic record this morning and it can't be that. Your marks are flawless, you will surely graduate with honors."

Lizzie shook her head. "No sir, not that. Although, I did earn a slight downgrade in statistical economics over the summer. No, I would like to take advantage of the Oxford Abroad program and complete my degree overseas."

The old man nodded. "I see. Indeed, it's a fine program, we shall be sorry to lose a student of your calibre. May I ask why the change?"

Lizzie laughed and rolled her eyes towards the ornate carved wooden ceiling panels. "Sir, I promised my father before he died that I would complete my University degree. I've just learned that my mother has other ideas. She is planning on announcing my engagement to a man I barely know. This simply will not do."

The old academic nodded thoughtfully. "I see."

Lizzie continued. "My plan, if you can help me that is is to transfer to the University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia. I did the math and it is as far away from my lady mother as I can get and remain on the planet!"

Dr. Snowe got up and removed a leather-bound folio from a shelf behind his desk. He opened it and leafed through a few pages. "Yes, a fine choice indeed. It's not Merton but does consistently rank in the top 40 or 50 universities globally. You do know it is quite large; there are over 35,000 students in attendance."

Lizzie smiled. "Yes, it's perfect. Just the kind of school I can get lost at. I plan to be off the grid for a couple of years."

Dr. Snowe flipped the folder to a different section and glanced down for a moment. He smiled. "Should not be too much of a problem Ms. Wilson. Your academic record and extracurricular performance are beyond reproach. I assume you would like to use the same identity?"

Lizzie nodded. "Yes. This one seems to work out just fine."

With a more formal tone in his voice, Dr. Snowe looked at Lizzie right in her beautiful light blue eyes. "Lady Elizabeth, did you know that I was a classmate of your father here at Merton?"

Lizzie paused and was a bit choked up, she hesitated a moment. "Yes Dr. Snowe, he spoke of you fondly."

The old man smiled. "And I think that he would approve of your quite creative solution to the problem at hand. I shall make sure all of the paperwork is in order and will handle the matter personally. Miss Haversham will call you when the documents are ready. Good luck and good fortune Lady Elizabeth."