Chapter 24: Christmas Eve Ball

  "Oh my gosh, Sam! You look great, except that you don't have any make-up. Why?" Katie exclaimed after she hugged me. I was sitting in the middle of her and Bethany while across me were Harry and Johnny. 

  "Because I only have limited time," I said honestly as I shrug. Bethany was dressed in a white spaghetti cocktail dress with white gloves and black stilettos, while Katie was dressed in a sky blue back-less cocktail dress with white pumps. Beside her was a paper bag. 

  "How come? You had ALL day to prepare," Katie rolled her eyes and then looked at her nails which had a snow man as a nail art. Perfect for Christmas. "What were you doing the whole time?"

  I wish I could tell her the truth that I was with Liam grocery shopping but she would just misunderstand, "I slept the whole day," I lied. "It's fine, okay? It's not yet prom."

  "Hmm...she's got a point Katie," Bethany nudged my shoulder as she winked at me.

  I mouthed "thank you" to her. "Well, I guess?" Katie considered. "So? Did Liam asked you out?"

  I choked on my saliva and coughed then suddenly saw Harry and Johnny eyeing me like thinking I'm the weirdest person on earth. "So—orry...umm, err...yeah. How'd you guys know?"

  "Duh? It's obvious, Sammy," Bethany patted my back. "I'm so excited!" 

  "It's obvious that Liam likes you," Katie bumped her shoulders to mine. "C'mon! Give him a chance."

  "No," I said directly that made everyone silent. I can't. I won't give him a chance because I have Jacob. He's the one that matters not Liam. "I...I'm not yet ready for him. I'm taking it slow."

  "Suit yourself, granny," Harry said across me. I didn't mind his comment because it's not true. 

  But I managed to laugh at his comment as if it's a joke. "I will, mate. Let's just have some fun!"

We arrived in the ballroom and everyone was dressed extravagantly as if it's a prom. For a minute, I thought I saw Jacob in one of the corners of the room but I shook that thought out of my head. It's impossible, he can't be here. Not with these many people. Someone tapped my shoulder and it was a Liam. His hair was neatly fixed and he was handsomer right now and then I felt my cheeks warm. I was suddenly feeling awkward being here because everyone was prepared except me. "We'll leave her to you," Katie said to Liam but her eyes were on me. "Take care of her!"

  "We're just friends," he replied that surprised Katie and Bethany. He kept his promise. I smiled. "But I will." Then he dragged me away from them. He led me to a table near the dance floor so I could see the dancers and the program. Until now, he hasn't removed his grip on my shoulder so I've decided to sit down so his hand also fell down. "Have a sit, Liam!" I patted the chair beside me. He sat down. 

  "Thanks for keeping my promise," I said lightly. "I appreciate it, really!"

  He just smiled. "I respect girls like you."

  Suddenly, I felt I blushed. "Girls like me?"

  "Yeah, cute, thoughtful, nice and...simple," he looked at me with his brown eyes which made me look away. This conversation is making me have goosebumps. "You didn't even put any make-up on but still, you look cute. You're you." He told me. 

After a few seconds, he spoke up, his voice shaky as if he's nervous,"So, um sh-shall we dance?"

  "I uh..sure..ok," I stood up from my chair. I realized that the song suddenly changed. It's a song that fits for slow dancing. He held out his hand and I took it. As he guides me, he also wrapped his free hand around my waist which sent me a shiver through my body. He twirls me around and the good thing is, I didn't step on my dress or his shoes but I was dizzy. "I'm sorry, I don't know how to dance."

  "It's fine," he whispered. "Me too." Then he laughed. When the song had finished, we went back to our seats hand in hand. I didn't let go of it because I'm still feeling dizzy from the turns he gave me. I think I had four twirls. Besides, this is just a friendly dance. And also, my feet hurt. That's when I remembered it, I forgot to bring flats. If Jacob was here, he would scold me for it. 

  "Phew!" I sighed in relief.

  "Why?" Liam asked beside me. 

  "Uh, nothing. I'm just happy, that's all since forty five minutes later, then it's Christmas." I half lied.

  "Yeahh," he nodded. "Sam, I had fun. Thank you."

  "You're welcome, Liam!"

  "Honestly, back when we were dancing, I was thinking of kissing you, but I've decided to keep that promise we made," he admitted which made my cheeks warm. "I don't want you to think of me as a bad guy, Sam. I like you so I have to respect you."

  "Why are you saying all of these?" I suddenly asked.

  He leaned close to my face. "I guess I'll have to repeat it again for you. I. Like. You." he said it slowly this time. Then, it was interrupted when I received a text message. Speaking of Jacob awhile ago, it's him. 

  Meet me with your flats. I'm on the rooftop. -Jacob

    Rooftop? Here? He's in the hotel? Oh no, I'm going to get killed. I don't have my flats, "Excuse me Liam, but I uh..have to go the ladies room, ok?" 

  "Sure," he smiled at me. I blinked a lot of times to get out of his gaze. I grabbed my purse and went straight to the elevator and went to the highest floor. On my way there, I already took off my high heels so my feet were touching the ground. It feels much better. When I've arrived in the rooftop, it wasn't an open area. It's like I'm in a sky dome. Stars were above me again. Mesmerizing me. Then, when I look ahead I see Jacob coming closer to me dressed in a tux. His hair was neatly fixed too. I melted in his presence. He got near me and tipped my chin with his thumb. "Welcome."