Chapter 2: Eyepatch

Eventually, the first day attending UA High School has arrived. I glanced at myself wearing the school uniform in the mirror and made sure to straighten my tie. I quickly combed my hair a final time and checked twice that my penknife was in my pocket before slumping my school bag over my shoulder. I rushed towards the door. "Aunt, I'm going now!" I exclaimed.

"Alright, enjoy your first day at school!" She responded before I shut the door and ran off. I felt a strong feeling of euphoria as I made my way to school. As I saw the school building nearing, my heart started beating a little more faster. Finally the day that I have been waiting for was here. The wind howled as the students arrived through the gates, hustling and bustling down the corridors. Friends were greeting each other with a hug or a playful punch while newcomers stood looking scared. The seniors stood, tall and proud, confidence born of experience. I nervously walked up the stairs, trying to find my class, 1-A. As I was looking around, not seeing who was in front of me, I accidentally knocked into someone's back.

"I'm so sorry!" I quickly mouthed out. I looked at him from the back, his hair was evenly split between white on his right-side and red on his left. He turned his head to look at me and I couldn't help but to stare into his eyes. He seemed to have a burn scar over his left eye, and both of his eyes were of different colours. Without saying anything, he turned to look at the front again and continued walking, leaving me behind. I kinda felt intimidated by the way he looked at me. I continued looking for my class and finally found it, only to see the same guy I had knocked into just now going inside the same classroom. Oh, so we're going to be in the same class, I guess.

I walked towards my new classroom and stared at the door. Damn, it's huge. (That's what she said) I walked inside and immediately, everyone turned their heads to look at me. I felt shivers going down my spine. I immediately went to an empty seat and sat down, quietly putting down my bag. I just hoped that their attention has diverted away from me. I have always hated being in the limelight. I heard the door open once again and looked up to see who walked in. His hair was a soft brown, like the bark of an oak tree, not dark but simply gentle in any light. His eye was like the colour of dark roasted coffee beans, the eye that was not covered... by an eyepatch.

  I turned pale, I stayed rooted to my chair, unable to move, and my eyes were wide, looking right at him, but not really at the same time. I could feel my eyes throbbing at the sight of him. It was Arata. I quickly laid my head on the table, trying to hide my face, anything to keep me away from him, who almost killed me years ago and left me behind to die alone. I would have never expected that he would return back into my life. I took an entirely different path from him years ago, but here we are, crossing paths again. I didn't know how to react. How did he even get into UA High School..?

  More students started streaming in, eventually, all the students in Class 1-A has arrived. I continued lying my head on the table, it didn't seem like he has noticed me yet, until I felt someone kicking the back of my chair continuously. I instantaneously got up and turned around. "Can you sto-" I said midway only to realise that it was Arata. My eyes dug deep into his and so did he, we stared at each other, noticing the disbelief on each other's faces.

  "...(Y/N)?" He uttered, I quickly sat down at my seat again.

  "You, stop disturbing our fellow classmate! You're also dirtying the chair with your shoe by kicking it which is also disrespectful to our seniors who used to sit on it as well as those who made the chair!" A classmate warned. He was tall and muscular and wore rectangular half-rim glasses. His hair was jet black, the shade was so dark with bright shines creating a great contrast.

  "Alright, sorry!" Arata answered while smiling at him. God, he's always smiling. I turned to look at the front again. Surely this was just a dream. This coincidence is too coincidental to be true.

Author's note
Hi! I hope you guys are enjoying the story so far!! I won't be updating in the next 3 weeks or so as I'm currently on vacation, so i'm very sorry for the long wait!! Thank you for the constant support too :) See you in the next chapter!