Chapter 14: It's Time

"Are you feeling anxious?" Shoto asked. It was the end of another school day, however, today was different. The results were released. I even had the highest score in my class, so what would this mean? The Battle Tournament. Shoto got in. Arata got in as well. I would have to fight one of them. Or even both. And the Sports Festival was this coming Friday, today is Tuesday. Just three more days left to prepare. Of course I would be a bunch of nerves.

"Shoto, I'm scared," I finally replied. "Half of me is telling me that I should have just done the test badly instead."

"Just take the battle tournaments as another test. Don't worry about it too much, see it as an opportunity to grow," he reassured me, but it wasn't helping much.

A few minutes of silence passed by as we continued walking. "Do you remember what I requested for if we were to face each other this Friday?" I suddenly asked. "You don't have to listen to that, I shouldn't tell you what to do."

"I'll try my best. If that's what you want, I'll do it. You're not forcing me, it's my own decision," Shoto answered with a gentle smile plastered on his face. I couldn't help but to smile back too.

"Thank you, let's use these remaining days to train hard! And hopefully our efforts will pay off," I added, feeling slightly more better about everything.

The next two days has been nothing but boring lessons and hectic trainings. My practice with Shoto after school has extended to longer hours and I found myself getting more exhausted as the days go by. But I want to do well. I really do. And so, all these time spent on gearing up for this tournament was worth it to me. Eventually, the day of the sports festival has arrived.

All of the participants were in the waiting room. Waiting for what? The match list. We were waiting to see who we were up against and how the flow of the event would be. And then finally, it arrived. Mr Aizawa walked in and pinned a sheet of paper to a notice board before leaving without a single word. All of us sprung up from our seats as we sprinted towards it. I scrolled over every single name until I found mine. That was when my mouth gaped wide open. My first match would be against Arata. When I turned to look, he was already glancing at me, a smirk slowly crept up on his lips, sending shivers down my spine. Shoto must be right, Arata's quirk must be dealing a lot of damage to his mental state.

We then heard the announcement that the first match would start in ten minutes. I then realised, Shoto would be in the first match. I saw him approaching me. "Good luck, Shoto. I'm sure you'll do well!" I exclaimed. He thanked me with a thankful grin before making his way to the battle grounds.

Ten minutes had passed, the first match had started. I didn't want to go out and spectate. Seeing the stadium full of people, other heroes and scouts just made my heart kept throbbing uncontrollably. I want to use this time to compose myself and free my mind off unnecessary things. I realised only me and Arata were in the waiting room, the rest had gone to watch the fight.

"Our match is the third, right?" His clear voice reverberated in the silent room filled with tension. I nodded. "Well then, good luck in advance."

"You too," I forced a smile on my face. I continued looking at the ground.

"Perhaps now... is a great time to explain myself," Arata began, but I didn't want to listen.

"Arata, please stop. You wanted to kill me again just a few weeks ago using Shoto. You're sick," my words were tinted with bitterness.

"The reason why I ran away that time was to quickly get help for you, if help didn't arrive sooner, you wouldn't be here right now," he continued, ignoring what I said completely. "Please believe me."

"Alright, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but could you explain why you said all those things to me during our fight and why you tried to use Shoto to kill me instead?" I asked, "You're really hard to understand. The first second, you want to mend our friendship but the next moment, you want to kill me."

"I know. My quirk depends on my mental state. Sometimes I'm in control of my mind. But most times, my mind is in control of me. I can't do anything about it. My quirk makes my mind go haywire up to a point I can't control it anymore. I'm trying my best. I know it's hard to forgive me especially for all the things I've done to you, but please believe all That I have said."

I looked away slowly. Don't give in. Don't believe him.

"If my mind goes off during our match later, please ignore whatever I'll say or do," he ended before the room went silent again.

Before we knew it, the first match was over and the second one was starting soon. The door creaked open and there he was, Shoto. He was panting and drenched in sweat. "Did you win?" I stood up and questioned. He nodded. I quickly ran towards him and hugged him before letting go. "I knew you would," I smiled.

"You'll do well too, no doubt about it," he said, "don't worry." Arata got up and left us alone in the room. Fifteen minutes into the second match, an announcement rang through the speakers.

"Three participants have withdrawn from the battle tournaments." I quickly turned to look at Shoto who also looked surprised. Why would they suddenly withdraw? That's odd.

Another ten minutes passed. I sat down and tried to calm myself down. That was when another announcement came. "Third match participants, please make your way to the stadium grounds now." My heart almost stopped beating at the mention of my match. The fear travelled in my veins but never made it to my facial muscles or skin. My complexion remained pale and matt, my eyes were steady as if I was ready to fight anyone any day. I let out a sigh and headed for the door. This was it. I must fight because I don't know how to die quietly.