Chapter 5: Aura

And then came the next seven tests. All of which I produced average results except sit-ups and long distance run which I was able to use my quirk to my advantage, but not the rest. After the tests, we were dismissed for the day which was fairly early. Everyone changed out of the sports attires into our school uniform again before packing up and leaving. I was the only one left in the classroom as I was cleaning up and bandaging my wound. I watched everyone streaming out of the classroom with new friends from the corner of my eye. All except me. I slumped my bag over my shoulder as I walked out, intending to walk home alone.

As I was walking, I realised how quiet the streets were. It really did seemed like we were dismissed really early, earlier than other schools, so I didn't see much students wandering around as I usually do. Abruptly, a cry could be heard. The voice was young and frightened; the one that answered it was deep, gruff and thoroughly irate. That tone of voice meant only one thing: violence. In this part of the city, it's hardly surprising. There are more small tragedies and sparks of violence than any one hero could hope to quell. I mean, I was the only one here, so I'm the only one who could help. I swiftly ran towards the direction of the cry.

The buildings huddled close together, the alleyways narrow and clotted with deep shadows. Just then, I started to see two figures. The smaller of the two, just a skinny boy in a patched up cap, was up against the alley wall, held there by a large man's beefy forearm.

"Where's the money that you're supposed to give me by today?!," the big man growls. His mustache trembled with the vibration of his hoarse voice, and a vein pulses in his temple.

The boy quakes. He looked about thirteen and looked as tough as damp tissue paper.

"I already did!" he insists. His voice was shaking. It looked like things haven't gotten too violent yet, but from the looks of it, it was only a matter of time.

I walked towards the escalating argument slowly. I didn't really want to use my quirk, especially since my heart was hammering itself against my ribcage right now. It was my first time intervening a fight like this. "Steady..." I said, placating. "There must be a better way to resolve this than violence. The boy is no match for you. Let him go, and let's talk about this," I was trying so hard not to let my voice shake. The way the man glared at me, it was as if he was already planning how to mutilate me as much as possible with his strong arms.

All the man did was grunt, spit and squinted at me. He dropped the frail boy onto the ground and strided towards me. I took a step back in response. "Well? Aren't you going to use your unnatural talent against me?" He threatened as he came closer. Unnatural talent? Did he mean, quirks?

"I-I don't feel like hurting anyone today," I replied, my legs were starting to turn to jelly. I shifted my eyes towards the boy and gestured to him, trying to tell him to run. It seemed like he got the message and did as I told him, running as quick as his small legs could carry him. However, the man seemed to have caught on. He turned to look and saw him escaping before looking at me again, his expression growing more intense.

"You-" He didn't complete his sentence before throwing his fist towards me. My eyes were quick to catch that, I blocked his punch on time although my arms now sting from the impact of it. However, he was way stronger than I could ever be, instead, he kneed me in the guts, throwing off my defence as I fell onto the ground, clutching my abdomen area in pain. I moved away from him, trying to create distance between us but instead, he walked closer and faster. "Why not you provide me money on behalf of that little boy you helped escape just now?" He threatened again as he reached out for my pockets, trying to find my wallet but instead, found my penknife. He held it in his hands and pushed the blade out. "And what is a penknife doing in a school girl's pocket?" He asked in his coarse voice. I tried to stand up but the pain in my stomach was absurdly painful. Cold sweat trickled down my forehead as my eyes throbbed at the sight of him holding my penknife. Even if I were to bleed, he wouldn't give me time to focus on using my quirk.

Using all the strength I had, I got up on my feet unsteadily and stumbled like a newborn baby deer. My only option was to run right now, he's way more muscular, I'm too weak to overpower him. But I suppose he knew what I was thinking, he grabbed my arm hard and shoved me against the wall. He held out the penknife, I tried wiggling out of his grip but it was too strong. This was it, he's going to plunge that penknife deep into my flesh, just like how I did back in grade school, where I was supposed to die. "I hope you regret interfering with my business now," he said before pushing the penknife rapidly towards me, I closed my eyes and braced myself for the pain but instead, felt nothing.

I slowly opened my eyes again. I saw the man, his face was in shock as he stared at his own arm. Right in front of me, I saw Shoto grabbing the man's arm and turning his flesh into ice. The ruffian yelled in pain as he gripped his ice cold arm, not being able to feel it. I quickly grabbed my penknife from his ashen skin before Shoto held me by my hand and ran away from the alleyway. As soon as we got far away from there, we stopped in our tracks and panted. His hand was still on mine, perhaps he forgot that he was still holding it. I could feel his intense warmth. He let go after that, he must have just realised he was still grabbing onto my hand.

"U-uhm... Thanks," I finally said, breaking the silence.

"Are you okay?" He replied as he glanced at me, ignoring my thanks.

"Yeah," I said. I'm sure the bruises can be treated.

"Don't be a busybody and intervene like that again. If it weren't for a little boy asking me for help, you would've just died there," he responded coldly. A little boy? It must have been the kid I helped escape. Shoto picked up his school bag and slumped it over his shoulder. "Get yourself treated." Was all he said before leaving me in the quiet streets again. I stared at his lean back as he walked away from me. There's this aura around him that just screams mysterious.

Author's note

Another chapter done today! :)
I know the reader might be weak but she'll get stronger overtime! I hope you enjoyed this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it. Thanks for your endless support once again!