Chapter 3

Everyone has finally left and I am alone. I hurry to my room and pack my dress, shoes, and mask up in a bag that will go across my chest to carry. I look in the mirror at my pinned up light brown hair and silver eyes. I look decent enough to look like I belong at a ball. I have no car or ride to get there except for a horse we own. I could go as my wolf, but I don't want to be out of breath.

On my horse now and the house locked up, keys hidden outside the stables where no one would find them if someone were to come here, I set my course for the pack house. The only way I can get there is by following signs, since I've never been there before.

After an hour and a half or so riding, I find my way to their stables to keep my horse. Everyone should be at the party, so nobody would notice the horse. However, if someone were to come out here, my horse sticks out massively with its light brown shade. The horses here are either white, black, or a rich shade of brown. Thoroughbreds no doubt.

Knowing that I am about two hours late, I find a spot where I can change into my clothes and hide my old ones under some hay. I run up to the entrance, slowing down into a walk to look like I just arrived from a limo like the others. I get some looks from other people and start to feel uncomfortable already. I don't really know how to interact with friendly faces or strangers.

I get away with just smiling at the others and make my way to the ballroom. It is magnificent and takes my breath away. The golden ceiling seems to open the room rather nicely with its carved walls and columns. The room is rather crowded with dancers. I remember that five different packs are supposed to be here, so it should be crowded. Surely all four packs wouldn't be here dancing.

Just as I thought, I look out the first window I pass and see the whole backyard area is full of more people. Just how big is this pack house? I can see people as far as the tree line in the back goes. There must be more full rooms but I don't want to get myself lost just yet. I keep to a small corner of the room, away from as much people as I can, ignoring the looks I am getting.

I'm not sure what I should do to carry out the rest of my plans. I have my horse as a backup to get back home if I decide not to go through with this, but I want to be free. But, if I go free, what shall I do? I don't even truly live in this pack anymore. Maybe I can just leave home properly when the time is right. It isn't terrible at home, so why am I running away? Yes, I should just stay where I am comfortable.

Maybe I should just have fun while here and then head back home before they realize I'm gone? What if they turned back to see if I left or not? Or what if they recognize me here? I am on watch for any sight of them. I want to see them to know they aren't at home, but I don't want them to see me at all. They could cause a scene here and get me captured as a rogue.

A man gently touches my elbow and smiles at me. I immediately turn to him and forget about looking out for my family. I'm thankful I decided to cover all my skin, otherwise I'd have to serve him. He asks me for a dance and I am reluctant to say anything. "I don't know how to dance."

He smiles more at me and shakes his head, "Of course you can, just follow my lead." He grabs my hand and pulls me to the edge of the dancers and teaches me how to move. It is a little more human contact than I am ready for, but it ends up being really fun. The first guy bids me a goodnight as another male asks for my next dance. I end up dancing with multiple people until I decide to take a break.

After a glass of water, I feel a tap on my shoulder and see an attractive male standing next to me. He asks for my hand and I let him lead me to the dance area. He sways to the music with me in his arms, careful with his steps. "How are you on this lovely night?" He asks me. I smile at him and tell him I am well. "Good. I see everyone here is enjoying their night. It is rather magnificent."