SPN S1E2: Wendigo

Directed By: David Nutter
Written By: Eric Kripke, Ron Milbauer, Terri Hughes Burton
Monster: Wendigo
Original Airing: 09/20/05

Deep in the Colorado woods, deep in horror. Sam and Dean's search for their father and for the evil power that killed Jessica, leads to the blood—soaked path of a Wendigo, a cannibal spirit of Native American lore.

After spending a week in Palo Alto looking for whatever killed Jessica the brothers head to Blackwater Ridge and the coordinates in their fathers journal. At the Lost Creek Trail the trial ranger, Ranger Wilkinson, mistaken a the boy's for friends of Haley Collins, the sister of Tommy Collins, who went missing while on a camping trip while with two of his friends. Sam and Dean decide to visit Haley. She shows them the last video that Tommy sent her via cellphone and also tells him that she and her younger brother, Ben Collins, are having a guide take them up into the hills to find Tommy.

Sam does some research and found that people go missing in Blackwater at regular interval, every 23 years. As he is playing Tommy's last video in slow motion, Dean and Sam both notice a fast moving shadow on the tent wall. They visit Shaw, who is a survive of a "bear" attack in 1959. He tell the boys that it was not a bear that attack his family, but instead a creature that was smart enough to unlock the cabin door, roasted like no man or animal, and moved lightening fast.

The boys go back to Blackwater the next morning just before Haley, Ben, And their guide, Roy, are starting to go to Tommy's campsite. The boys go with the group to find the campsite. When they get to the campsite all that's left are ripped tents and damaged equipment. Scream for help are heard in the distance causing the group to go investigate the sounds, but no one is there. When they get back to the campsite all of their bags are gone.

     Using their father's journal, Sam and Dean figure out that the creature they are facing is a Wendigo. They try to tell the group who of course don't believe them and Dean draws Anasazi symbols for protection as the group makes camp. Sam tells Dean he wants to abandoned the hunt and search for their father. Dean says they need to help the others because it's the "family business." Cries for help are heard again. Dean warns everyone to stay put, but Roy doesn't listen and into the dark woods. He does not return.

    The next day Sam and Dean explains that the group that Wendigo means 'Evil that devours.' Wendigos were once human, but became something else when forced to eat human flesh to survive. Tommy could possibly still be alive, because Wendigo hibernate and like to store live food. They follow the Wendigo's bloodly trail. Eventually they find Roy's dead body when it falls from a tree and the Wendigo appears which causes everyone to get scattered. Haley and Dean are taken by the Wendigo while Sam and Ben follow the trail of peanut M&M's that Dean leaves behind. They find Dean, Haley, and Tommy hanging from the ceiling of an abandoned mine, and they cut them loose.

      Dean finds two flare guns along with the rest of their stolen supplies. While Sam leaves with the Collins siblings dean tries to draw the Wendigo away. The Wendigo follows Sam instead and corners the group. Dean is able to catch it from behind and shoots it with the flare gun into its chest. The Wendigo bursts into flames and dies as they escape and go to get help. The group makes up a story to tell the police - they were attacked by a bear. Haley thanks Dean  and leaves with Tommy and Ben in an ambulance. Dean tells Sam that they will find their dad which Sam agrees to, but in the meantime he's driving.

Soundtrack
Hot Blooded
By: Foreinger
Plays in car when Sam wakes up from a nightmare

She Ain't Lonesome
By: Steve Fisher
Plays in the car when Sam wakes from nightmare in Netflix version

Down South Jukin
By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Plays at the bar where the guys discuss the case and watch the video in the laptop

Fly by Night
By: Rush
Plays at e end when Sam's driving the impala and they leave the woods

Quotes

Dean: You wanna drive for a while?
Sam: Dean, your whole life you never once asked me that.
Dean: Just thought you might want to. Never mind

Sam: What, are you crushing for a hookup or something?
Dean: What do you mean?
Sam: The coordinate point to Backwater Ridge, so what are we waiting for? Let's just go find Dad. I mean, why even talk to this girl?
Dean: I don't know, maybe we should know what we're walking into before we actually walk into it.
Sam: What?
Dean: Well, since when are you all 'shoot first, ask questions later,' anyway.
Sam: Since now.

Sam: Mr. Shaw, what did you see?
Shaw: Nothing. It moved too fast to see. It hid too well. I heard it, though. A roar. Like...no man or animal I ever heard.
Sam: It came at night? Got inside your tent?
Shaw: It got inside our cabin. I was sleeping in front of the fireplace when it came in. It didn't smash a window or break the door. It unlocked it. Do you know of a bear that could do something like that? I didn't even wake up till I heard my parents screaming.
Sam: It killed them?
Shaw: Dragged the. Off into the night. Why it left me alive...been asking myself that ever since.

Roy: You're rangers?
Dean: That's right.
Haley: And you're hiking out in biker boots and jeans?
Dean: Well, sweetheart, I don't do shorts.

Haley: You didn't pack any provisions. You guys are carrying a duffel bag. You're not rangers. So who the hell are you?
Dean: Sam and I are brothers, and we're looking for our father. He might be here, we don't know. I just figured that you and me, were in the same boat.
Haley: Why didn't you just tell me that from the start?
Dean: I'm telling you now. 'Sides, it's probably the most honest I've ever been with a woman....ever. So we okay?

Sam: Dad's not here. I mean, that much we know for sure, right? He would have left us a message, a sign, right?
Dean: Yeah, you're probably right. Tell you the truth, I don't think Dad's ever been to Lost Creek.
Sam: Then let's get these people back to town and let's hit the road. Go find Dad. I mean, why are we still even here?
Dean: This is why. This book. This is Dad's single most valuable possession-everything he knows about every evil thing is in here. And he's passed it onto us. I think he wants us to pick up where he left off. You know, saving people, hunting things. The family business.

Sam: How do you do it? How does Dad do it?
Dean: Well for one, them. I mean, our family's so screwed to hell, maybe we can help some others. Makes things a little bit more bearable. And I'll tell you what else helps. Killing as many evil sons-of-bitches as I possibly can.

Sam: 'Wendigo' is a Cree Indian word. It means 'evil that devours.'
Dean: They're hundreds of years old. Each one was once a man. Sometimes an Indian, or other times a frontiersman or a miner or hunter.
Haley: How's a man turn into one of those things?
Dean: Well, it's always the same. During some harsh winter a guy finds himself  starving, cut off from supplies or help. Becomes a cannibal to survive, eating other members of his tribe or camp.

Dean: (to Wendigo) Hey, you want some white meat, bitch! I'm right here!

Haley: So really, I don't know how to thank you. (Dean grins) Must your cheapen the moment?
Dean: Yeah.