.12

Mari exited the room grinning triumphantly.

"Shayne Topp," She said, shooting a smile at FLitz who was guarding the door.

"And our hostage?" FLitz questioned. Mari's face hardened, moving back to the face of the killer FLitz had learned to expect. He wasn't sure he liked this softer side of her... it was different, unexpected.

"Dead."

~*~

They were burning the bodies. They wanted to send a message to Topp. And so they watched bodies be consumed by flames, trying to pretend that the smell didn't bother them.

And maybe the smell didn't bother Lasercorn. He was too entranced by the flames to notice anything else. Mari wished they could all be like that, crazy enough to not feel emotions. Mari wished that she didn't feel sick to her stomach, she hated burning bodies. But the message needed to be sent. And the message needed to be received. And she needed to be there to watch it happen.

"Does the smell not bother you?" Sohinki finally broke the silence that fell over them. Mari could see his eyes water and she could see how hard he was resisting to cover his nose.

"It does," FLitz answered. Mari nodded her head in agreement. "We just know that this needs to be done." Sohinki nodded slowly and clenched his fists at his sides, using all his energy to fight off the urge to block out the scent. Mari was proud of him. He fit in well with the group. She was shocked she hadn't broken him. She was shocked that he still wanted to be near him. And it made her admire him even more. But admire wasn't quite the right word for it— dare she say love? No, love wasn't the right word. She desired Sohinki, she wanted him, but she didn't love him. Not yet.

"He's not coming," Wes said, walking back to their little campfire. He had been watching from above, looking for any sign of movement, looking for their next victim.

"I see," Mari turned her attention back to the fire. "He will."

"Mari—" Wes started. She raised her hand, silencing him.

"He will come, just not yet." She smiled, the thing twisting into something wicked. "But while we're waiting, let's leave him a little something." She pretended not to notice the looks exchanged behind her back. She was scaring them, she knew this, but she was feeling scary, and people needed to be frightened. 

She put out her hand, waiting for FLitz to place the handle of his blade into her palm. When he did she ran one finger across the sharp end of the knife, before pressing it to bicep. Once her skin split and blood began to drip down her arm, she returned the bloodied knife to FLitz. Aware of the boys still watching her, she dipped her fingers in her own wound, dragging her now blood covered fingers across the cracked cement that covered the ground. 

This time her message was long. She wanted to anger the man who refused to come when the first of the bodies were set aflame. She wanted to meet him. She wanted to end this. And so the message she drew up was long, but she was proud of it.

Shayne Topp,

It read.

I know of your existence, and I know that you wish me dead. But you have made one dangerous enemy, and do not think that we won't slaughter you, just like we slaughtered each and every person you sent after us. Know that we only know your name because one of those bodies gave it up. So, even if you refuse to meet me at the given time, just know that we will find you. And we will kill you. 

When the outside world goes to sleep, I want to see you here. I want this to be our final battle. This is your last attempt to kill me. Win this duel? And you gain control of the Dead Zone.

With love,

Atomic

"Do you think that will draw him out?" Sohinki asked, after she finished her message, and wiped her bloodied fingers on her ruined pants. 

"I know it will," She said and turned on her heel, walking away from the fires that danced around the bodies of things that were once people. She drew her feet to a stop, her chaotic smile never leaving her face as she did so. "I've made my move," She hissed into the empty air. "Now it's time for you to make yours." 

~*~

They moved into the building that they were taken captive in. Mari wanted to show that they weren't afraid. She didn't want to hide from him. He would find her, she knew this, and when he did, she would be ready. So why hide from someone who will eventually find you? And if he wasn't brave enough to meet her like she requested? They would kill him. Just like they do when anyone dares to oppose them. Just like she does when anyone dares to oppose her. 

She sent Lasercorn to watch the fence. He was ordered to tell her when the world outside that gate went dark, she would be the first to know, and she would be ready. In the meantime, she picked a room that hadn't seen death and pulled the boy who captured her thoughts in after her.

He looked like he was about to say something, but she cut him off by pressing her lips to his. He kissed her back, but she could sense his hesitation. It wasn't quite as passionate as the other kisses they had shared. It was nothing like the train. So Mari pulled away quickly, gazing into his eyes, trying to figure him out. 

"Mari," He said, brushing a few loose strands of hair away from her face. "I can't do this right now. I can't kiss you like I'm not about to lose you." She looked up at him, cursing their small height difference. 

"You aren't going to lose me." She said, pulling him towards her chest. She just held him there for a few seconds, before he pulled away to look back into her eyes.

"But what if I do?"