Prolouge-The Kelly Mansion

"Mr Kelly, I-"

He gave her a look before he replied to the man on the other end of the phone. "Yes of course, sir."

"Mr Kelly-" She repeated a second and third time before he acknowledged her.

"I'm sorry, sir, can you hold a second." He took the phone from his ear. "Katherine, what is it?" He said, exasperated.

"You've got the President on the other line wanting to speak to you, sir."

"Tell him I'm busy."

"I've already told him that." Katherine rolled her eyes. "He says it's urgent."

"Katherine, can't you see, I'm in no position to call him!" Jack just lifted the phone to his ear. His assistant snatched the phone from his hand before he could protest.

"Yes, I'm sorry, Mr Chapman, he'll be there." There was a muttering on the other end of the phone. "Tonight, yes of course, thank you." She put the phone back in its stand. "Wasn't too hard, was it, Mr Kelly. Now, President Roosevelt wishes to speak with you." Katherine handed him the other line.

Jack Kelly gave her a look of distaste before putting on a smile and speaking to the President.

————

"Consider yourself lucky, Miss Pulitzer." He began. "I've every reason to fire you one of these days."

"But you wouldn't, sir." She brunette smiled knowingly. "I've been with you for the past two years, assisting you-"

"Since the beginning of my career." He finished. "Yes yes, I know, Katherine, you do keep reminding me."

"And where would you be without me to remind you?" She flashed him a smile and handed him a few files "to be reviewed".

"I'd probably be asleep, lounging around, enjoying myself..." he mused before shouting after her. "Send for Darcy, will you? I need him to pack my bags."

————

Katherine popped her head into the staff quarters and quickly spotted Darcy chatting up one of the maids.

"Darcy! Leave her be! I'm sure Adelaide would much prefer to be making a start at her duties!" She shared a friendly smile with the young maid before Adelaide hurried into the kitchens.

Katherine balanced a few heavy folders on her hip before explaining her visit. "Mr Kelly has sent for you to help him prepare for his week away in Brooklyn with Mr Chapman." Darcy nodded.

"Are you still sending for his guest?" She nodded.

"I'll be heading up to Manhattan tomorrow noontime to meet them, once Mr Kelly's out of the residence."

Darcy shook his head. "You still haven't told him?"

Katherine gave a distasteful glance at her old friend before shrugging off the question and heading down the corridor to her office. She didn't like when people pointed out what she'd not done, even if she'd ignored the task on purpose...

————

"-And you'll have the papers filed and sorted for me to review when I get back?"

"Yes, sir."

Bill draped a dark coat around Mr Kelly's broad shoulders.

"Review the guest list for the Christmas Eve Dinner?"

"Of course, sir." Katherine gave a quick nod but didn't mention his unknown guest who'd be attending. He'd find out soon enough.

"And have the decorations up for when I get back? I hate the hassle it causes so it might as well get done while I'm out."

"Yes, Mr Kelly, I've got everything sorted. I always do. Now, your cab is waiting outside, you really must be on your way."

"Katherine, keep the house in order."

"We've been over this, sir, you don't need to remind me." She rolled her eyes.

Mr Kelly nodded curtly and stared at her for a moment before coming back to his senses. He turned and left the building, into his cab and off to Brooklyn.

A/N well here you go! I'm actually really excited about writing this. I've got a clear plot line in my head that I'll try to keep to. And I'll try to keep updating regularly. Please let me know what you think of it. Votes and shares are appreciated 😁☺️☺️