Chapter 1-The Refuge

A/N I severely apologise for these crappy New York Newsies accents

Later that week

"Get yer' asses up an out, ya' lousy so n' so's!" Morris called, kicking the nearest kid to the floor. "Dis' 'ere floor ain't gonna wishy-wash itself now is it, kid?" Les shook his head quickly and hurried to collect a bucket and cloth from the stack in the corner.

"Leave my brother outa this, Delancey!" Davey called, pulling the torn bedsheets off his mattress. "What's he ever done to you?!"

Oscar stood beside Morris and laughed ruefully. "Ain't lil' Lessy boy the only one round 'ere wid a big scary brudah'"

The Delancey brothers shared a laugh before going to find another boy to bully.

"You'se alright Les?" Another boy asked him. "Jus' ignore da' Dalancey's. Dey's jus' too scared ta pick on someone dere' own size!" The boy chuckled, using his crutch to help himself stand.

————

That night, the boys all lay awake, the Delancey brothers included, listening to the sounds of Snyder getting drunk off his own money downstairs.

"Shut up, Mush!" A boy whispered to his friend who was muttering lowly to himself.

"Leave da' kid alone, Albert!" Race, the eldest of the boys in the dorm, whisper-shouted.

"He ain't shuttin' up, though!" Albert protested. "N' I don't wanna 'ear him all night!" 

Race went over to Mush and tucked him in, pushing the younger boys matted hair out of his eyes. "S'okay, Mush, get some sleep." Race pulled his bed sheet over Mush to keep him warm.

As the older boy headed to his own bed, Crutchie caught his attention.

"Race, iz Sunday tomorrow, Medda'll be showin' up for the laundry. Are you goin'?" Race grinned.

"I'se goin' tonight, Crutch, and you'se comin' wid me." He whispered, wrapping what little belongings he had into his bed sheets. Race pulled out a torch and twirled it between his fingers.

"Where'd ya' get dat?"

"Some ol' man in da city, why 'e was carryin' it round, god knows, but iz useful today!"

The two boys lay on their uncomfortable mattresses while the other boys fell asleep, and then finally they stood, Crutchie leaning heavily on his makeshift crutch and Race with a heap of bedsheet hiding his small amount of belongings.

As the time drew near midnight, the two slipped ungraciously down the long corridor of beds, as they reached the door.

"-Ha!"

Snyder was stood in the doorway, his own torch shining a light in Race and Crutchie's pale faces. "Just what do you two think you're doing?!" He demanded, waking some of the kids nearby.

"Runnin'" Race answered quickly as Crutchie stammered behind him. "Maybe if we'se ran off, da authorities might 'afta come n' see why." He shrugged.

"Get back to your bed!" Snyder slapped the elder boys cheek and shoved him to the floor. But Race stood and held his ground, not letting Crutchie take a beating with him. "I said, get back to bed!" Snyder said, dragging Race by the ear to his bed.

"As for you!" The old man was leaning towards Crutchie, his hot, smelly breath blowing up the boys mangy fringe. "I've every reason to bust your other leg!" Snyder starched the boys crutch and swung it at his bad leg. "Get to bed, crip!"

————

The morning came around again and the boys were left with a bowl of cold mush to eat. Each boy curled up on their bed, slurping away at the vile meal. It was the only thing they were gonna get, and they didn't want anyone getting any ideas and stealing some.

After their chores, they were all in bed again, chatting and dreaming of getting out of this hellhole.

"-sure? Because some of these kids are murderers! Bet you don't want no murderers running round your precious little mansion!" They heard Snyder laugh.

"We'll be taking one of the younger boys, they can't've caused too much trouble."

All at once, the boys stood excitedly at the sound of a woman's voice. One of them was getting out of here.

"Well-" Snyder shoved the door open. "Here they are. Take your pick."

Katherine stopped still in the doorway. In this room alone, there was 30 boys, the eldest could only be 15 years old at the most. What were they all doing here? This was a refuge, they can't have all committed a crime.

She glanced at a young boy in a scruffy cap, presumably his older brother was behind him with his hands on his shoulders. That poor boy. He can't have possibly done anything to put him here. Maybe his older brother had...

Four other young boys stood together, pulling their best 'innocent face'. The boy on the end had glasses and two of the others wore newsboy caps covering their eyes. They looked to only be 9 or 10 years old.

Katherine's heart pounded. These boys knew she was here to choose one of them. To whisk one of them away. And the other 29 would want to bury her alive.

She made eye contact with one of the boys, an older one by the looks of him. He had broad shoulders and a sullen face complete with pleading eyes. He kept glancing between Katherine and a younger boy just out of her sight. She went over to where the child was.

He was 8 or 9, maybe 10, if Katherine had to place any bets on it. Okay, 11 tops. He was small, a weak little frame draped with baggy hand-me-down clothes. The boy was sat on a torn bedsheet clutching a crooked stick.

"Ahh, so you've chosen little ol' Crutchie-boy here!" Snyder shoved the boy to his feet as the boy used his stick as a crutch. "The women always take pity on the crippled lads. Maternal instinct." Katherine huffed silently but listen to what the Refuge owner had to say. "This ones trouble, him and his mate were caught robbing the bank downtown. Scoundrel." Snyder sneered at the boy from where Katherine couldn't see. "Nevertheless, I'll be glad when he's out of my hands."

Snyder pulled the boy out of the door, leaving Katherine to follow hurriedly, shutting the door on 29 young boys.