Chapter 3-The Kelly Mansion

Jack Kelly was more than annoyed. He'd been gone a week-even less!-and then there he was, just landing in New York with no chauffeur to pick him up. He'd left message after message with both Bill and Katherine. Granted, he wasn't due back for 4 more days, but maybe his staff would be a little more eager to have him home rather than stranded at an airport.

Katherine Pulitzer was more than stressed. Her boss was back in New York and would be stranded at an airport for at least an hour while Bill drove to pick him up. When her and Crutchie finally pulled into the driveway of the Kelly Mansion, she ushered him inside, apologising profusely, while ringing Jack.

"Katherine." He picked up after the first ring.

"I'm so sorry, sir. I've sent Bill on his way, he's coming to pick you up as we speak." She rambled, holding the door open for Crutchie to come through.

"Katherine, I've been calling you for the past hour. Why on earth haven't you picked up?!"

"Busy, sir, it's hard to explain- it's easier just to show you when you get back.."

"Well I'd be back by now if you'd've picked up an hour ago!" He sighed into the phone. "I don't care, I don't care, just get Bill here and get me home."

————

After apologising to Crutchie several times, Katherine had managed to calm herself. She exhaled sharply, her fringe flying away from her face to fall back into her eyes.

"Right.." she ran her hands down her skirt to smoothen it. "Crutchie, welcome to the house!" Katherine smiled, finally noticing the massive grin on Crutchie's face as he looked around. "I know," a laugh erupted and echoed in the large room, "it's amazing, isn't it."

"Ya- ya live 'ere?!"

"Would you like me to show you to your room?"

His eyes widened. "I'se get me own room?!" Katherine's heart reached out to this sweet little boy.

"Come on, I had Marnie and Adelaide clean up a room for you." She started heading up the stairs. "Will you be alright on crutches up the stairs?" Her voice was a little quieter this time.

He chuckled lightly, Katherine noticed his nerves. "I'se be alright, sometimes me 'n Race'd sneak outa da Refuge and we'd afta run back up da stairs 'fore Snyder caught us. Well, dive in my case." He laughed.

Katherine stood and waited awkwardly every few steps while Crutchie desperately propelled himself up these stairs so not to hold her up, but he was still cautious not to leave any marks or creases in the rug laid out on the stairs.

After the long flight of stairs, they finally reached the top and began heading down a long corridor.

"These are most of the bedrooms. The staff quarters are downstairs but my bedroom is just across the corridor, and Darcy's is just round here too, you'll meet him soon." She pointed to the grand bedroom door at the other end of the corridor. "And that is Mr Kelly's bedroom. He'll be home later today.

"And this-" Katherine pushed open the door of the nearest room. "Is yours." The door swung open as Katherine turned the door knob.

Crutchie hobbled into the room. It was twice the size of the room he'd shared with the boys back at the Refuge, a king size bed made of silks and satins was all made out nicely in the centre of the room.

"Dis' is my room?"

"Yes, Crutchie, this room is all yours." She chuckled at the boys enthusiasm.

"Katherine?!" Stephie ran past, pausing at the door. Her face suddenly broke into a grin. "Is this the Christmas Guest?"

Crutchie used his crutch to propel himself over, eagerly shaking the young maids hand.

"My name's Crutchie. I'm 12, miss." Stephie blushed at the title, but shook his hand none the less.

"I'm Stephie, I'm 15." She giggled a little and tucked her hair behind her ear. "Katherine, Darcy's asked to talk to you."

"Of course," Katherine nodded. "I'll go and visit him now. Stephie? Fetch Adelaide and the pair of you can give Crutchie a tour?" Both Stephie and Cruthie nodded at the idea, Katherine smiled and sighed before hurrying off down the corridor to Darcy.