Chapter 6-NYC

Once they were in the car, Bill pulled away and began the 30 minute drive to the vaudeville.

Katherine had her head against the window in an attempt to get some rest while looking like she was just captivated by the sights. Not that it mattered, Jack had noticed and pretended not to have done, keeping his attention on the young boy beside him. Crutchie was captivated by all the buildings, sights, people and events happening on the other side of the car window. Jack made a mental note to have someone take Crutchie out again tomorrow for him to discover more about what he's missed of the world.

Katherine's head slumped lower and Jack put a hand on her knee gently to wake her. Her eyes shot open at the touch and she looked at him.

"Everything okay?" He mouthed, not wanting to disturb Crutchie. Katherine only nodded, turning away again, she rubbed her eyes and leaned against the window.

Jack set his arm around her shoulder, pulling her against him. "It's a long drive yet," he said quietly, "and that window hardly seems comfortable." After a moment, she nodded and allowed herself to relax against his shoulder.

~~~

The three of them dashed all day between popular landmarks, tourist attractions, niche coffee shops and expensive stores. Crutchie's eyes were as wide as saucers the entire time, Jack even treated him to an extensive budget of $80 to spend on whatever he wished (half of which Crutchie would've spent on corn dogs alone had Katherine not intervened).

Jack made sure to check periodically that his secretary was still fully conscious. He had every reason to send her back with Bill if she rubbed her eyes anymore than she already had. Her eyes were red and sore with black specs from the dried makeup that had come off her eyelashes. She'd pretended not to notice how much attention he was giving her even if her blood rushed to her cheeks every time she caught his eye.

That night, the vaudeville was alive with energy, with flashing lights, brightly painted posters and a large hubbub of people gushing on their way into the theatre, the streets seemed to shine with all the movement.

Jack, Crutchie and Katherine stood at the bottom of the staircase that lead to the theatre.

"You ready, kid?" Jack asked. Crutchie grinned and began shuffling up the stairs.

~~~

Later, they all stumbled back into the mansion donned with 'I ❤️ NYC' shirts, bags, badges galore, Crutchie had a strange bouncy bobble headband stuck amongst his unruly blonde hair and Katherine was almost passing out, unused to only an hour of restless sleep. Jack kept an eye on her, gesturing for Darcy to help her up the steps to her bedroom before she tripped and knocked herself out.

Once he was sure Katherine was safely on her way to bed, Jack scooped up Crutchie in his arms and carried him inside, both in hysterics.

When he stepped foot into the building, he was met with a disapproving gaze.

"Mr Kelly, Mr Wiesel is here to see you." Adelaide bowed her head and hurried off, leaving the visitor glaring at the little boy in Jack's arms.

"Ah, Mr Weasel-" "-Wiesel-" "-so nice to have you drop by. I say, it's a bit late for a business meeting, don't you think, sir?"

"It's only six in the evening, Mr Kelly."

"Of course, but it's been a long day."

Jack set Crutchie down on the floor. "Hey, kid, why don't you head to the kitchens and see what you can nab off Heather, I'll join you for a little supper later." He watched the young boy dash off.

"What brings you here, Mr Weasel- Wiesel, sorry, I forget."

Weasel huffed. "That 'kid' of yours is from the refuge, isn't he?"

Jack's brow furrowed. "What of it?"

"An employee of mine says to have seen you with the boy this morning. He was concerned that a criminal should not be parading around New York with a wad of money in his pocket, strutting around like he owns the place."

"He's had a tough life, the boy didn't do any harm." Jack defended Crutchie.

"Mr Kelly," Weasel began, raising an eyebrow. "I wasn't meaning the boy, though the same might apply. I meant you, Mr Kelly, it seems you have a couple things you've been trying to keep hidden."

Jack let out a low chuckle. "What? Weasel- Wiesel, sir, this is old news, lil' old me, rising from nothin', scavengin' for anythin' I could get. Not much ofa' secret." His old accent grew thicker as he came to recall his past. "Why's it matta' anyway?"

"Because, you- sir -are a disgrace! Have you even heard what they're saying about you? You've kept yourself shut away in here for 2 years, only appearing for your fanciful business trips! And then you go parading about the city with your new friend from the refuge and your pretty little secretary, people start to get curious! They realise he's from the refuge, they realise you're from the refuge, they start to wonder how she fits in to your gang."

"So this is about my staff, now?" Jack raised an eyebrow.

Weasel coughed to hide his laugh. "You'll defend your army of workers then, clearly. Well, your secretary, pretty young thing, good head on her shoulders, tell me about her."

"I will tell you nothing of the sort. If this is about some petty rumors you've heard then I want nothing to do with it." Jack made his way to the door, opening it to show the old business man out.

"Katherine Pulitzer. That's her name, right?"

Jack paused for a moment. Pulitzer. He wasn't supposed to know that. It was a hard thing to keep a secret but he'd agreed to let her sign all her papers as Plumber, Katherine Plumber. She didn't want anyone to make the connection.

"Joseph's daughter, no? His eldest daughter, to be exact. Yes, yes, well, he now knows who she's working for... and wants her back home."

"Such a matter is none of my business, Katherine's decision of who to work for and where to live is her own prerogative." Jack spoke clearly. "Now, Mr Weasel, I'd appreciate if you could leave me, my staff and my guests be.

Weasel tutted at Jack but made a way for the door. "You're making a mistake here, Mr Kelly, I can assure you. Mr Pulitzer has plenty to say about his brat of a girl, it seems she's more trouble than worth. You'll be smart to make the necessary amendments and get her off your staff."

"Mr Weasel-"

"Wiesel!"

"-I do not welcome you onto my property. Go now, before I decide to cause a scene." Jack hissed, trying to hold his temper.

"You're making a mistake.."

"Goodnight, Mr Weasel. That will be all!" Jack dismissed, his voice louder than intended.

In the moments that followed, Wiesel made her a way to his car. Jack stood silently, listening to the crunching of the driveway as the car drove out of the gates.