Part 12

Daryls POV

I ventured out into the woodland and tracked y/n trying my best to find her. I was carful not make noise and attract walkers. I killed a few but still no luck finding y/n. I decided to go with my gut instinct and go the lake with the wild roses. I heard splashing in the water and got hopeful. I ran towards the sound but I was annoyed when I saw it was just a walker. I led it out of the lake and killed it. I walked over to the roses and picked a few. I don't know why I did but I felt like I needed too. I decided to try the second place I thought she would go and that was her old camp. I made my there and slowly approached the all to familiar sight of destruction. I readied my bow and walked into the clearing. I saw three walkers making there way to something and ran to them. I killed one and saw y/n unconscious on the floor. My head instantly told me she was dead and that I was too late. I felt anger build up inside of me and I killed the last two walkers. I raced to her side and held her carful. Her face looked so peaceful. I checked for a pulse and I let out a sigh when I realised she was alive. I quickly checked to see if she had been bite but it looked like I made it just in time. She had simply passed out. I stroked her hair gently so it was off her face and smiled to myself. I wasn't going to let her get hurt ever again. I was going to protect her at all costs. I kissed her forehead gently and carried her back to the prison. I didn't want her to know my feelings for her because I knew she wouldn't feel the same back. I carried to her cell and laid her down. When hershel came to see her I left and went out to the courtyard for a little while. I stabbed some walkers on the fence and tried to think of how I could convince her to stay. She'd die otherwise but it looks like she's not afraid of dying.

"Whatcha thinking about?" Maggie said, startling me because I didn't realise she was next to me.

"Nothin'" I replied and try to cover my feelings.

"Its about y/n isn't it?" I felt my cheeks get hot. I tried to go back to my tough, not caring self.

"Pfft, why would I think about some kid who keeps leaving? Stupid girl." I said. I felt Maggie's eyes stare into my soul.

"Thats a shame, cause she likes you." I quickly looked at her shocked. She smiled at me, she must have seen right through me and she knew how much I like y/n. "She's awake so I went to see if she's okay and she asked where you are. So I said, why? Do you like him? And she blushed and told me about what she said on the bridge and how she's scared of losing you so for her, its easier to push you away than it is to fall for you. But its too late. She likes you Daryl! So don't be an ass." She grinned and walker away. I dropped the bar I was using to kill walkers and ran to the prison. And I mean ran! I went straight to her cell and stopped a few feet away from it so I could regain my breath. I took out the roses I had kept and held them. I looked at them for a moment, braised myself and I noticed Rick and the gang where watching me butI tried to ignore it. Then had never seen me be like this before. I stepped into her cell and sighed when I saw she was asleep. Hershel was sat next to her and I grew worried. I put the roses on a small table she had and stood next to Hershel.

"Is she okay?" I asked, worry in my voice.

"She will be. She hasn't been eating." I looked at her and felt guilty that I hadn't noticed. "But she will be fine. She needs to drink plenty of water and eat in small doses. And you need to look after her." I looked at him confused and he sighed. "She woke up and she was concerned about was you and your whereabouts. She cried when she remembered what she had said to you and in fact its why she's sleeping. She cried herself to sleep. She wont listen to me when I tell her what is wrong so its up to you." With that he stood up and left so I sat in his seat. I looked at her, peaceful again. I gently stroked her cheek with my thumb and cupped her face. Her eyelids started to flicker slightly as she started to wake up .

"D... Daryl?" she asked, in such a small voice I almost didn't hear her.

"I'm here now" I said softly. At this her eyes shot open and she looked at me in surprise. Before I had time to say anything she quickly wrapped her arms around my neck and hugged me tightly. I was thrown back the sudden affection but soon enough I wrapped my arms around her back and held her tight and close. She quietly started crying into my neck so I rubbed her back. "Shh, its okay Little Rose. I won't let anything hurt you. I promise. I'll save you" I slowly pulled out of the hug and made her lay back down. I went to stand up but she grabbed my hand.

"Please don't leave" She said.

"I never will." I replied and sat back down next to her. I meant those words. I will never leave her.