Chapter 1

I'm getting used to this place the intense heat, the warm breeze of air, the tropical trees and the polite people here in this neighborhood where everyone knows one another, a very different setting from where I grew up.

I am waiting for my cousin to pick me up and help me enroll I'm a foreigner and I'm glad that my family here are willing to support me and help me adjust. After a while she finally pulls up in front of the house with what looks to be a black SUV. At first I thought it wasn't her because I never expected her to be driving such a beautiful car but I was wrong it was indeed her.

"Jessie! You look very pretty my dear." My grandmother said, approaching and then kissing her on the cheeks.

"You look pretty as ever too, Lola." Jesse replied.

Well she does look pretty. She's a mistiza a Maria Clara type of woman or in other words a white Filipina. She's wearing a long black dress that shows her hourglass figure despite the fact that her body is all covered with the dress.

"I think we all own this to one beautiful woman," she added while holding Grandma's old and wrinkled hands.

"Ohh you're so sweet my dear. Wait I'll prepare food okay? Go inside after you two talk okay?" My grandmother said before walking back inside the house.

"What's up Felipe." She asked me.

"Yeah, it's nice to see you in flesh my cousin." I answered.

"I heard about what happened I'm very sorry..." she said quietly in a very sympathetic tone.

"Nah it's cool shit happens I admit though that it was my mistake I was too reckless, too fucking reckless." I insisted.

"Come on in!" My grandmother said, waving her hand ushering us to come inside.

We went inside the old house, it is an ancestral house built by my great Grandfather. It's composed of vintage furnitures and it is quite creepy in my opinion especially the portraits of our dead relatives that are hanged on the wall as you enter the house.

We sat on the dining table along with my grandmother. The dish that she prepared was Adobo it is a delicious Filipino dish made with soy sauce and vinegar.

One thing that I am amazed at Filipino culture is the diversity of the dishes that they have and how delicious they are it is nostalgic as well because my Mother had always cooked Filipino dishes for me.

"I love the food that Lola cooks, she's a seasoned chef and probably one of the best." Jessie said quietly.

"Yeah it's perfect it's better than my Mom's. She always cook Filipino food for me back in the States it is actually nostalgic." I answered.

She heaved a frustrated sigh, "I see. Well... We'll make sure that you will enjoy here in the Philippines. I know that you're probably home sick or what but you will get used to it trust me."

"And besides, Angeles City is a very nice town. People are kind, and the University that I study at is a perfect school for foreigners like you." She added.

"Well I'm very glad to hear that, at least now I am able to sleep well without thinking about the negative possibilities." I said, and she giggled.

After our lunch we went to the University the University is composed of tall walls and two big gates as you enter you would quickly notice a huge gate and then a small entrance at the very right side.

At the very center of the University there is a beautiful fountain and an erected statue of what looks to be the Patron saint of this University. And then not far between the two University buildings is a huge Chapel and there is also a gymnasium behind the Chapel.

As you stroll the footpath of the University I noticed there are a lot of benches where you could probably loiter around and there are a lot of flowers too. This place is amazing.

We went to the admission and I signed some papers to show my credentials and to prove that I am a foreigner. They told me about their foreign student program, they said that they will be offering free Filipino lessons to foreign students but I politely turned down the offer because I understand Filipino but I cannot speak it.

The admission secretary also asked me if I am a Catholic which is quite an unusual question and I said no and after that she never said a word again. After the lengthy process they told me that I must go to Saint Joseph Hall building and that is the big building beside the Chapel.

We went to that building and I'm glad that Jesse is willing me to help me through all of this. I passed the entrance exam successfully and they told us to return next week for the orientation. Which means I'll have to spend another week doing nothing which is already taking it's toll on me doing nothing at that small ass barrio.

The next week we went to the orientation we're seated at the first row because Jes is eager to hear what the speakers have to say. This is what I like about Jes she's a good listener that's why everyone is so comfortable talking to her but she doesn't bulge if her opinions are challenged because I had some debates with her and she doesn't give up although she concedes sometimes.

The first speaker said that as Seniors of Senior High School redundant I know we have to serve as role models for the new juniors of the department. They also said that we must always follow the rule and regulations of the University that is pretty obvious.

That non Christians like me should always participate in their religious ceremonies and they also emphasized the fact that bullying in any shape or form will not be tolerated and extreme sanctions will be given to those who break this golden rule which for some reason made me feel safe and secured.

In the middle of the orientation while my eyes wanders around and endless thoughts playing in my mind I saw a glimpse of her. The girl who caught my attention then she disappeared almost instantly like a ghost apparition but then she showed up again walking down from the exit back to her seat. Seeing her from a distance like this feels good I have seen her few times since she's my neighbor but I am afraid to talk to her.

"That's the girl I'm talking about." I whispered to Jes who is busy listening to the speakers.

"Where?" She asked, "That girl." I said, discreetly pointing my finger to her.

"Oh, Nera... yeah. She's your neighbor right? She lives beside Lola." She said, "I think she has a boyfriend but I'm not sure. Have you met her yet?" She added.

"Nope but I want to. You should introduce me to her what do you think?" I asked her, disregarding the possibility that she has a boyfriend.

"Uhm... maybe. Are you sure though I mean she's uhh—"

"Yes I'm sure Jes, come on prove to me that you're my best cousin, huh?" I insisted.

"Wow so the way to prove that I am your best cousin is by introducing a chick to you? I thought you had balls why can't you go and talk to her yourself?" She said, her tone indicating that she's already pissed.

"Yeah, what ever." She added cutting me off before I even manage to reply.

After that she gave me a silent treatment and it's obvious that she's pissed because her arms are crossed and her face is a dead giveaway. She was quiet all the way to the parking lot where we parked the SUV.

"Come on Jes are you really that pissed?" I asked her, and no response.

"Jes I don't like this you're mad over nothing okay? Tell me what's wrong." And finally I caught her attention.

"You know what? You're asking me to introduce you to a girl that I don't even like so what do you expect me to do? Swallow my pride?" She said slamming the door of her SUV while she's at it.

"Here's your schedule by the way." She said, tossing a paper of what seems to be my class schedule.

I quickly scanned the paper I have classes from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm and that is quite lengthy to be honest and I have to attend a lot of classes.

"Are we classmates?" I asked her.

"In this one particular class I guess, Philosophy."

"Only in one class?" I asked her, and she nodded as a response.

"Only in one class." She said quietly as she turns the key in the ignition.