Tuesday's Triceratops

Everything around you is quiet as you walk along the streets back towards base

Everything around you is quiet as you walk along the streets back towards base. Now you think about it, suspiciously quiet. You look behind you, expecting something to happen and it does.

Screams come from in front of you and soon streams of people push past you while you stand in the middle of the pavement. As it's your job, you start walking in the direction that the stream is coming from.

You know when you have reached the agency as Foster and Hay join you, pushing against the stream. Foster speaks into her headset. "We just got a call. Something extremely old that shouldn't be alive was all the information we got given," Foster states.

"Waterbird called that in, didn't she?" Hay questions.

You look at the pair. "So she stayed?" You ask as the crowd is only a drabble now.

"Yeah, the training really helped. I'm still trying to figure out who she is though," Hay responds.

You look in front of you as a guy comes running around the corner towards your trio. "You guys are crazy!" He calls to your trio as he passes. Like yesterday, your curiosity picks up.

When your trio turn the corner, you see why. Stood in the middle of the street is definitely something that is extremely old and shouldn't be alive. The triceratops in front of you roars causing you to cringe.

You look to Foster she has the same reaction as yourself. Hay, however, cherishes the moment, he walks to in front of you and Foster, turning to face us two. He claps his hands together. "So, what's our plan?" He questions watching you.

"Moving from where we are stood might help," you comment watching the triceratops looking at Hay.

"Why is that, Reed?" He looks at you confused as Foster runs to her right. You grab Hay's arm and pull him to your left as the triceratops charges past. Hay looks at you. "Okay, I made a mistake," he says quietly, his ego bruised.

The triceratops stops his/her charge, as you can't really tell which gender it is when Waterbird puts her hand up. You look at Foster across the street and she shrugs, not knowing when Waterbird got there either.

Waterbird calmly lowers her hand and the triceratops lowers his head. You and Hay realise what it is going to do. Before you can call out, Hay shifts into a triceratops. "What are you doing?" You hiss at him quietly and he looks back at you.

"Trust me," Hay replies. Hay roars quietly, making the real triceratops turn to face him. It tilts its head curiously, knowing that Hay wasn't a triceratops before. Slowly, it turns round and pads up to Hay. It sniffs the air curiously as Waterbird runs to Foster.

"Hey, buddy," you say quietly, approaching the now calm triceratops. It stares at you, its glassy yellow eyes blinking at you. Confidently, you step forward again and hold out your hand, palm open upwards. The triceratops sniffs your hand carefully then you stroke the top of its nose.

To your surprise, the triceratops welcomes your touch, eventually laying on the ground. Hay shifts back to his human form and pulls a rope out of a pouch on his belt. He hands to rope to you so you can, loosely, tie it around the triceratops' neck.

The triceratops' eyes widen slightly in fear over the sight of the rope. You hand the rope back to Hay as you shake your head. "It will follow anyway. It doesn't need the rope," you whisper.

"Are you sure?" Hay questions quietly.

"Just take the rope, Hay," you reply and he takes the rope.

Foster and Waterbird stand watching, waiting for a signal of some kind.

You raise your hand and the triceratops stands so you start walking down the street to the agency. The triceratops follows you curiously, trying to see where you are going. Unfortunately, the triceratops is too big for the front entrance but the back entrance is big enough for the triceratops. You lead it through the streets and Foster suddenly joins you. "Can I call you dinosaur tamer now?" She asks jokingly, turning down an alley.

You can't stop yourself from chuckling as you go down the alley. "No, you can't. The poor thing was just misunderstood," you reply.

Foster shakes her head "Doctor Dolittle." You both laugh as you turn into the backyard of the agency.

The back door rises like a garage door to let them in. When the slight noise of the door clicking in place reaches the triceratops' ears, it freezes. You turn around and click your tongue, the triceratops reluctantly continues in.

When it reaches you and Foster, you can't help smiling. Foster puts out her hand and the triceratops nudges her hand. Her face breaks out into a smile which you adore and love so much. One you try to get out of her as much as you can, but it never works.

You could never be with her, it was against policy for relationships. There are harsh consequences if you get caught, and that's if you get caught. Most of them have been but a few have slipped under the radar.

One of the other agents leads away the triceratops as Waterbird and Hay join you and Foster. Waterbird had a smirk on her face which makes you think Hay still hasn't guessed who she is. "Well, that was fun," Waterbird comments, clapping her hands together like Hay did earlier.

You look at Foster as you know Foster is looking at you. That is when it hits you they both have a mutation of some form of manipulation, extremely similar in personality. That can only mean one thing...

You smile and reply to Waterbird, "no that wasn't fun, that was Tuesday's triceratops."

Hay shakes his head. "You have a bad habit of naming days like that you know," he jokes.

You grin. "I thought you would be used to it, Hay."

"No, he wouldn't, it takes too long for him to get used to things," Waterbird replies instead and walks away.

Hay watches Waterbird walk away. "But how...?" He says speechlessly.

"You should be speechless more often, it suits you," Foster comments laughing, causing you to chuckle at Hay's lost expression.