Chapter 7

It seemed like all eyes were on me and Latoya the moment we stepped into the Delta Sigma Theta house off-campus. I honestly felt like I'd been set up. I had a feeling she wanted me to tag along for her own selfish reasons but my suspicions were confirmed as her friends surrounded us and said we made a cute couple. That shit pissed me off because I didn't want to be in a relationship with her and she knew it. I hated when girls would do that shit. Since we weren't far from campus, I decided that I was gonna walk back the moment I could sneak away without that bitch noticing.

            "Wassup bruh," some stocky dark-skinned dude said to me at the drink table. "Congrats on getting Latoya. Me and some of my frat bros been trying to get at her but she didn't give us the time of day."

            "Frat bros?" I asked. "Is everybody up in here in fraternity or sorority?"

            "Nah, not everybody. But a lot of the people here wanna be in a frat or sorority. We don't let everybody in though. So, you interested?"

            I gave him a look as I asked, "Interested in what?"

            "Pledging."

            "Man, hell nah. I don't have time for that. Besides, I already have a whole football team full of brothas."

            "You can never have too many brothas, man. Think about it." He finished making his drink and then walked away.

            Annoyed, I turned back towards the table and poured myself some punch into a cup. Just as I was about to take a sip from it, I saw the dude that was in me and Reggie's dorm room earlier that day. I tried to just shrug it off; but the more I thought on it, the more he seemed familiar to him. I got a good look at him as he talked to a group of girls and quickly realized I'd definitely seen him before. I couldn't remember where I saw him, but I definitely remembered him. When I saw Brandi enter the house and approach the dude and other girls, I decided to walk over with my cup of punch in my hand.

            "Hey Brandi," I said, interrupting her as she was talking.

            She looked at me, rolled her eyes and asked, "What are you doing here?"

            "I'm here with somebody. What are you doin' here?"

            "I'm pledging this sorority. I'm sure our mutual friend told you that before. Now can you go away?"

            "You're just gonna be rude and not introduce me to your friends?" I waited for her to introduce me and when she didn't, I smiled and told them, "I'm Quentin. I went to high school with Brandi."

            "Did y'all used to go out?" the dude asked us.

            "Hell no," we both answered at the same time.

            I laughed a little and said, "I'm not her type...anymore."

            "Quentin, you can go away now."

            I gave the dude a look and licked my lips before saying, "I need to go take a leak anyway. It was good seein' you again, Brandi."

            "Yeah, whatever."

            I smiled at the dude and kept staring at him as I walked by him and the girls and headed up the stairs. I wasn't sure if my subtle charm worked, but I waited upstairs by the bathroom anyway. Just as it seemed like he wasn't gonna come up there, he appeared at the top of the stairs. I smiled and headed into the bathroom and he followed me inside. I stood over by the sink and he quickly closed and locked the door.