Chapter 19

In between Thanksgiving and Christmas was Demi's nineteenth birthday, and I was lowkey stressing out over what I should get him. I finally settled on something just hours before our date that night. We were both back in Morrison Heights because the semester was over and we'd finished our finals. Everyone I knew was still upset over the 2016 presidential election results but my main focus was Demi. He and I had been dating for a little over a month and we were being extremely careful. The last thing either of us wanted was to rush it and lose yet another opportunity to be together.

            "Quentin," said Mr. Lattimore after opening the front door. "Come on in. Demi isn't ready yet."

            "Uh okay," I said as I entered the house.

            He closed the door and asked, "Where are you staying for winter break?"

            "I got a hotel suite downtown."

            "When Demi told us that you weren't going to be staying with us for the break, I was a little disappointed."

            "Really?"

            "Yes. We like having you around, Quentin. When Demi told me you and him are dating..."

            "He told you that."

            He laughed a little and explained, "Demitri has always been very open with me. He tells me everything. I don't have a problem with it. All I ask is that you treat my son with respect."

            "Did he tell you that I'm not ready to come out?"

            "Quentin, he told me all about it and you have nothing to worry about. I suspect you two are going to have a car date tonight since you don't want to be seen?"

            "Actually, I'm takin' him out to eat in Sycamore Valley since no one we know spends time out that way."

            His eyes lit up as he asked, "Sycamore Valley? Do you need any money?"

            I laughed and told him, "Nah, I got it. I just want Demi to have a good time with me before he abandons me to go party with his friends at Maxi later."

            "Well, I hope everything goes right for both of you tonight."

            "Thank you, sir." I shook his hand and not a second after he went into the kitchen, Demi came downstairs looking cute and sexy as usual.

            "Was my dad just in here?" he asked me.

            "Yeah. How did you know?"

            "I smell his cologne. So, are you ready?"

            "Yeah. What time do I have to have you back?"

            "Quentin, I am nineteen. I don't have a curfew anymore."

            "My bad. You still look young as fuck to me, so you're gonna have to excuse me when I slip up." I grabbed his hand and led him outside.

            "It is freezing out here."

            "I know, right." I opened the door for him and once he was inside my new Chevrolet Tahoe, I closed the door and hurried over to the driver's side. I started it up and turned on the heat.

            "I still can't get used to how roomy this SUV is. I feel like nothing can hurt us in here."

            "I wouldn't let a thing hurt you regardless, baby." I laughed to myself as I thought about the conversation I'd just had with his dad.