12: Trouble

In the time following their return from their first mission, Sean had grown bitter and distant. This soured Nixie's mood as well, and the two seemed to adopt a hostility and resentment towards each other with no end in sight. They could hardly stand to be in the same room as each other, and for most of the classes they spent together, they were separated. The one class where they were kept in the same cluster was Monster Studies, and that was only because Mr. Reaper believed they would never, ever work out their issues if they avoided each other. He was right, of course, but the time in between was awkward, uncomfortable, and all-around unpleasant for everyone involved. One tragedy of the situation was that their Familiars had all grown to full size over the course of this time, but they were so distracted by the negativity they had barely noticed.

"I don't get why he's being so hostile!" Nixie complained at dinner one night. "I didn't even do anything and out of the blue he hates my guts!"

"I thought we established he's jealous," Akora highlighted. She had managed to get out of class early and join the three for dinner.

"Of what? And why won't he get over it?"

"Of your strength," Elvia told Nixie. "It must be bugging him pretty bad if he's not over it yet."

"The only way to resolve this is with a duel!" Akora declared.

Kyle, who had been fairly quiet throughout much of the meal, finally spoke. "That doesn't sound like a good idea."

Akora crossed her arms and, though she was sitting as well, seemed to tower over him. "And what would you recommend, hm? A nice chat?"

Kyle nodded. "Yes, that's what we Earth people do when we disagree."

"Oh, so things never turn physical?"

What little confidence he had at that moment dwindled. "Well-"

"So you've never had a war on your Earth?"

"Um-"

"Nobody ever just snaps?"

"I mean-"

"Then hush!" She turned her attention back to Nixie. "Whaddya say?"

Nixie cast a glance Kyle's way. She wore a mask of anxiety and uncertainty. "I think Kyle's right," she groaned. "I mean, I don't wanna fight Sean unless I have to."

"Yeah don't," Elvia urged, "one of you could get hurt!"

Akora spat in disgust and leaned back a bit. "Fine, don't, but keep it in mind. A good brawl has settled these petty disputes before."

Nixie took a swig of water. "If it comes down to it, I will. Believe me, I will."

And one day, it did come down to that. Nixie became so fed up she challenged Sean to a fight in the courtyard, under the cover of darkness. Akora and Kyle, who were both present to hear the challenge, had very different reactions to this. Akora became so excited she could hardly contain herself, but Kyle was appalled. Was he surprised? No, not really. He was more disappointed than anything. He told Elvia and Aoife. Asim overheard, and he told Zach about it. Somewhere in the mix, Vince overheard, but he did not want to believe it at first, so he simply chalked it up as a rumor.

The sun had set and the night crawled across the land. The group gathered in the courtyard. The Familiars sat aside with uneasy looks. Sean and Nixie were not surprised to see Kyle and Akora, but they were none too thrilled to see Aoife, Elvia, Asim, and Zach crowding around as well.

"Go back to your rooms," Nixie warned. "There's nothing to see here."

"No, stay!" Akora urged. "We're going to need them to help decide a winner."