17: Inhuman

As it would turn out, Earth inhabitants are not the only ones with winter holidays. Many other students also celebrated holidays of togetherness in the winter season, and so, the Academy suspended classes for four weeks and encouraged students to, in Vince's words, "Go on, skedaddle!"

Kyle was relieved to be returning home. He packed his bags in a heartbeat and kept his eyes glued to every time-telling device within his sight. He nearly packed Fledermaus in one of his bags in his rush. When the final bell rang, he practically flew to the Birchwood Tower.

"Akfernen!"

The frosty air had already chilled him through and through, and he was unsure if the voice helped to freeze him more or if it helped to thaw.

Akora, Sasha, and Runt came barrelling through the crowds of other Birchwood students. She pounced on him, and knocked him to the ground. Runt and Sasha ran up and licked his face.

Kyle laughed and struggled to push her off himself. "I'm gonna miss you, too," he assured her.

"This is going to be a long month, friend."

"Well, they didn't say we couldn't visit," he said.

She nodded. "True."

"Oh no! Kyle's getting eaten!"

The two looked up, and saw Elvia and Nixie approach hand in hand, their Familiars close behind. They both had smiles on their lips, but sadness in their eyes.

Akora and Kyle stood, looking like sheep with snow all over their clothes. Fledermaus burrowed into Kyle's hood. "You two ready to go?" Kyle asked.

The two girls exchanged glances, then, with a somber simplicity in their voices, replied, "Not really."

"Gonna miss this place?" Akora asked. "To each his own, I suppose."

"Oh, I'm not leaving," Nixie said. "I got myself kicked out, remember? And my stepdad is an UnFamiliar, remember? Basically I'm staying here."

"Staying here?" Kyle and Akora echoed.

Nixie nodded. "Yeah. Did you know Mr. Efeta actually lives here? And Mr. Draug? Most of the custodians, actually."

"Oh, yeah. That's right."

"What an arrangement," Akora muttered.

"But don't worry," Nixie assured them. "I'll be back for a day or two to get my stuff together for the dance. I've got a bank account with at least something in it, I'm pretty sure."

"And if not," Elvia added, "Mr. Efeta and the others said they'll give her an allowance, which was really nice of them." She brushed a few loose strands of hair out of her face. "Kyle, are you going with anyone?"

Kyle shook his head. "Nah, think I'm gonna just enjoy my time alone."

"I'm not going, either," Akora chuckled. "No mead, wine, or beer? That's not a party!"

"Oh no, is Akora coming, too?"

The group looked up and saw Sean, Aoife, and Asim trudging through the snow. Clopin had joined them, and carried many of Aoife and Sean's bags. He stood right behind Aoife, who appeared a bit wobbly on her crutches. There was also another, who looked almost exactly like Aoife, only a boy.