IDIOTS

" I'm going to kill you!" 

They should've seen this coming. Derek, ever the observant one,  bolted, running as fast as he could in the opposite direction. Tenika,only sparring a glance at my face before she took off right behind him. I didn't even give them a second. Of course, I was in enough control to stay in human form, but they didn't know that.

"Oh, you guys are sooooo dead!"

 Full speed I pushed my way through the trash and tight alleyways chasing the two idiots, who just happened my two best friends, unfortunately. Derek, speedy as ever, led the way. His brown hair whipped in the wind and his navy blue jacket threatening to tear at the force of the wind from his speed. Tenika's dreads leaving a strip of shadow behind her. Her blue scarf whipping around crazily.  I knew I could catch them easily, but you know how it is with hunters. We love the chase.

"Come on Jazz!!! It's not so bad, he barely saw us!"

Tenika called over her shoulder. As if that was going to stop me from giving her a massive ass whopping!

"Yeah, come on Jazz!! I'm tired! Hillary and Brody couldn't find food this morning! COME ON WE SAID WE WERE SORRY!" 

 His breath came out ragged and fast. So ragged that they sounded as if someone had punched him in the gut, and as usual, I don't care. His chest heaved and his arms were working twice as hard as if it were a rabid dog he was running from and not me. Actually, when I'm mad there's not really that much of a difference. Each time I got close I would pull back just a bit, taunting them. Like I said, its the thrill of the chase. Its like drugs and candy. * any All Time Low fans 😉* Tanika's panicked breathing could be heard all the way across the Outlands.  Her heart beating so swiftly. Like a gazelle being pursued on the Sahara, whatever that was. Have to admit I wish His. Caps. came with sound. That would be great to know what it was like when the continent's were still together. Before all of this. Shaking my head I focused on the task at hand.

I chased them from the alleyways to the to the old church, my anger falling away, and my beast relenting. Satisfied in the chase. Slowing my run to a jog, I gave a low whistle to let the two screw-ups know that I was good. They saw this and stopped. Of course, they were sure to keep their distance just in case I decided to tackle them.

 Our run hadn't taken long all in all a couple minutes, but that was enough. They were home.

Un lieu de miracles, or The Palace of Miracles. This old rotting church had been my home once, not that long ago. Growing up here I was taught 3 things. First, family always comes first, blood or not. Second, Her word is Law. Finally, once part of the family, always part of the family.

"Now, you two idiots want to tell me why you were out there in the first place! You're asking Marcus again, aren't you? I told you to keep away from him. He could have told you that I was in a riot and gotten both of you captured, or worse, killed for border leaping! "

I felt the shade bleed into my eyes triggered by the thought. Marcus. If he had gotten them killed because he told them where I was. My blood boiled at the thought of the Demon captain with his hands on my family. Don't get me wrong, I trust Marcus. I love him, but I swear he cares too much about my well being. I mean come on, I only told him where I was going so that he wouldn't worry so much. NOT so he could go and tell the others so they could get themselves killed.

  A growl rips its way through my gut.  A sharp whistle tears through the air ripping away my anger with it.  

" And just when I thought you'd left us for good, Jazmin Maya  Corvinal Tilinda." 

Just great. I twirled gently on my heels towards the crumbling grand staircase. A pale, bent figure, hunched over a walking stick, gradually made its way down. One agonizing step at a time. White, wispy, waist length hair  swaying with each movement. Long ragged red robes dragged along the ground collecting more dust than the graves surrounding the church. The silence that followed was only filled with the cries of Sirens far off in the distance and maybe the drop of pebbles on the cracked cobblestone floors.  

When the mass of cloth reached the bottom of the stairs a long-fingered hand reached from the depths  and beckoned me forward. I complied cautiously.  The white withered hand reached out to me, gently touching my cheek, tenderly turning my face from left to right as if I was the one who got chased from the border. A sense of comfort covered me like a blanket, warm and motherly. Hope and worry clouded the air with a familiar oak and pumpkin smell.   

"Hi, Maggie." 

*Hey guys sorry for the long wait again needs some major editing but other than that thanks for all the patience and support, love y'all.*