Curious Thoughts (Part II)

Night came quickly, and there was still no sign of Zack.

Rachel Gardner looked out the window, momentarily leaving her eyes off the book she had been reading for the past few days. It wasn't uncommon for her to spend sleepless nights waiting for Zack, actually, it was more of a habit than anything else. Day after day, the now-14-year-old had to be patient enough to stay up late and see that the murderer would come home safe and sound. It became a responsibility, and she had grown to loathe it-- due to the stress it caused her.

Ray cared for Zack, that much was obvious... but said man wasn't aware of her feelings, or didn't care... one of the two.

"Annoying..." she whispered to herself while finally deciding to wait near the window. "I always have to worry about him getting caught, yet he keeps roaming about at night, knowing full well of the consenquences."

Her blue eyes squinted as she tried to find an approaching shadow, her lips red from being bitten one or two times. She sighed once more as she desperately tried to remain calm, a feat she had lost ever since moving in with Zack, in their isolated, abandonned apartment building on the other side of the city.

She had changed for the better, that, she was sure. Zack told her everyday of how much more 'bearable' she had become lately, to openly show her frustration and speak up about certain things, and it flattered her, genuinely.

But despite that, she still felt the need to die, somehow. It became the core of her very being, that promise they shared meant everything-- it meant the world to her, and she absolutely did not want to let it go.

No matter what.

Even if he were to get caught again, this time it would be her turn to come for him. And not the other way around.

Why? Well, simply put, she was tired of waiting, tired of all the fake small promises he made to make it up to her, tired of all the times he asked her to smile-- smile for him, simply because he wanted to see it, like a jewel or a pretty toy.

She was far, far too tired for any of those things again, and she had more than enough of how he was so obviously stalling for more time.

She had her emotions back, not in their entiriety, but she had them back regardless.

And so it was grand time for him to take her, like he had sworn to.

'But he doesn't feel like it...' Rachel thought bitterly, looking down at the wooden floor. 'He keeps asking me to smile, and that's what Im doing... but...'

Was there really a reason? Was there really a promise at all?

She wasn't sure, but she remembered-- vividly, of his opinion concerning liars.

And that was enough to give her an ounce of hope, if only a little-- despite her frustration, that he will keep his promise and end her life.

And if he didn't respect their oath then--

*CRASH*

"What the--"

Rachel's thoughts were interrupted immediately when Zack kicked the door open, startling her.

"Ray... Pack your shit, we're leavin'."

To be continued...