Chapter 4 - Dinner Out

-March 14, 2017, evening-

Walking down the sidewalk to the restaurant, Natasha slipped her hand behind Steve's arm. He grinned down at her and then raised an eyebrow. "You okay, baby? You look kind of pale..."

"I'm fine," she smiled. She felt tired still but was a little too embarrassed to tell Steve. There were perks and hardships involved in being married to a supersoldier. One of those double-edged swords was his constant high energy.

He put his other hand over hers. "Can't wait to see what Pepper planned," he said.

The hostess led them outside to a large patio. "Reminds me of our first date," Natasha smiled at him. There was a band playing and lots of other people seated. The view of the ocean just added to Natasha's thoughts of their first date, sitting overlooking the lake.

"It does," Steve said. "Although this time, I won't be wondering what's going to happen next." Steve gently rubbed her back as he pulled a chair out for Natasha. They thanked the hostess as she walked away.

"That was the night you showed up to pick me up without a beard," Natasha laughed. "You were so cute that night," she reached over to grab his chin playfully. "You really surprised me."

"I was trying so hard to play it cool when I saw you walk down the stairs... I felt like my knees were shaking," Steve chuckled. "Took me back to the days when I didn't talk to many women."

"And now they're all missing out because you're all mine," she smiled and rested a hand on his knee. Steve leaned over and gave her a kiss.

"I don't know what I did to deserve you," he said with a sigh as he was still near her face.

"No, it's the opposite," she said. "You're the sweetest." Natasha laughed, "We really do sound like honeymooners."

During dinner, some other diners started to dance to the band's music, they were playing cover songs. After Natasha had finished eating, Steve offered his hand to her. "Mrs. Rogers, would you dance with me?'

Natasha grinned and stood up to take his hand, following him to the other dancers. She felt herself melt into his chest as he pressed a firm hand against her back. The cool night breeze and the ocean had her relaxed and she was content just to enjoy this moment with Steve. She was letting Steve lead her and was barely paying attention when she heard him say "I know this song. Do you remember...?"

Natasha looked up at him. "Remember?"

"Oh, you don't remember," he smiled. "I'll never forget."

"What do you mean?" she grinned at him. "Should I remember a Beach Boys song for a specific reason?"

Steve swallowed lightly and his face had the faintest smile as he gazed down at her. "The night in the hotel... in Virginia... when you came to my room... when we woke up, this song was playing on the tv. This is what I woke up to. I just... I'll never forget."

"Aww, Steve," she said, reaching up to hold his face and press a kiss to his lips. "You remember that? I am so amazed."

"Well, Nat, I already had some feelings for you when that happened and it just stuck. Waking up with you was a bit of a reality check for me."

"God, I love you," she sighed, letting her forehead ease onto his chin.

When they returned to their table, the waiter brought out a miniature white wedding cake with lit sparklers sticking out and put it in front of them. "Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Rogers," he said.

"That's so sweet," Natasha said. "Steve, would you mind if we took the cake with us? I couldn't eat another bite."

"Not at all," he said and the waiter picked it up and said he'd be happy to box it for them.

Back in the limo, Natasha eased into Steve's side and sighed contentedly. She took his arm and wrapped it across her, holding onto it like a pillow. "That was a nice dinner," she said.

"It was," he agreed as he watched her slip her heels off and pull her legs onto the seat with her. He moved his hand gently across her arm. "The band was good, too." Steve looked down at the top of her head. "What's the actual name of that song?"

"Surfer Girl," she said. "I shouldn't be surprised but sometimes I still am - I forget how romantic you are."

"Nahhh, you think?" he asked, shyly.

"You have romance in your soul, you have passion," she said. "You are a passionate person, that's what draws people to you."

"You're not like that?" he asked.

"To a certain extent - but not like you. And it's one of the things I love the most about you," she smiled softly, her eyes looked weary.

They watched out the window for a few minutes before Steve asked, "What should we do tomorrow? Do you want to do any sightseeing while we're here?" Steve got no response and he glanced to Natasha's face to see she was sound asleep. He pulled her closer and enjoyed the rest of the ride back, feeling her snuggled up to him. When they were about to pull into the parking area, Steve whispered into her hair, "Honey, we're here."

Steve thanked the driver again and slipped his arm around Natasha to walk her inside, holding the cake in his other arm. Inside the house, Steve watched Natasha walk up to the countertop and lean against it. He put the cake down next to her and picked her up in his arms. "Come on, baby, let's get you to bed."

"Steve, I can walk," she fought him lightly.

"Sure, I know... but look at you... those eyes can barely stay open. Let me take care of you." He cradled her, carrying her up the stairs and setting her down in the bedroom. He took his shirt off as she slipped out of her dress. When she was finished, he pulled her close and put his button-down shirt on her. She watched his face for an answer. "I know you like to sleep in my shirts sometimes," he smiled.

"Oh, you figured that out, I see. Thanks," she said, laying her hand on his arm and she padded off to brush her teeth. As she stood at the sink brushing, she felt his warm shirt and it was so comforting. She pulled her hair into a ponytail and walked back into the bedroom to sit on the bed. Steve walked to the bathroom to start getting ready and when he returned, Natasha was laying on her side on the bed, sleeping already. She hadn't even covered herself yet so he covered her up and brushed some stray hairs off her face.

Slipping into bed behind Natasha, he reached his hand across her waist and listened to her breathe.