Chapter 7 - Time to Find Out

-March 16, 2017, early morning-

Steve sat on the edge of the bed, staring at the floor. He sat up straight when he heard the doorknob move. He looked at her for some guidance as she walked out of the bathroom.

"Now we wait," she said, sitting next to him.

Steve moved his arm around her back. "How long?"

"About five minutes," she said, looking at him. The pit of her stomach swirled with nervousness. She sat in silence for a moment before turning to him and asking, "Steve, will we be okay if it's not good news?"

"We're in it together... good times and bad," he kissed her forehead. "If it's not good news, I still have you and you're the best thing that's ever happened to me."

"Steve," she started to say, but her breath caught in her throat and her eyes teared up. She laid her head on his chest and gave up trying to speak. She just listened to his heartbeat as he tightened his arms around her. "I know," he whispered.

When Natasha's phone timer went off, she had already talked herself out of the possibility of being pregnant. And as excited as Steve was, he was afraid for how Natasha might take the news, either way. She stood up from the bed slowly and he followed as they walked to the bathroom. She was two steps ahead of him but she had enough time to see the test and she spun around to face Steve. Her face was still, her eyes were big... and before he could ask anything, a slow smile started to appear on her face. She started to nod her head slowly and then she picked up speed as the smile grew and she looked at him. "Yes?" he asked. "Yes," she smiled.

Steve's arms were around her in a heartbeat and he lifted her ever so slightly off the ground. "Tasha, I can't believe this," he whispered into her ear. She hung onto Steve tightly and quietly.

As he set her back down, Natasha sighed. "This explains so... so much."

Later that morning, they were sitting on the beach, still processing the information. Once in awhile, one would look at the other and they would just smile. Steve got up excitedly and asked if she needed anything from the house before he ran off. He came back with a large resealable bag and started scooping sand into it.

"Whatcha doing?" she asked him, tilting her sunglasses down to get a better look.

"I'm taking some sand to make something for... the baby... wow, that sounds so strange to say," he grinned.

"Awww, are you really?" she cooed. Natasha slid down onto the sand and crawled over to Steve, kissing him right on the lips. "You're so sweet."

"I've got some other ideas too... if you're interested...?" he said.

"Of course, shoot," she said, getting comfortable on the sand.

"If you don't like this, I'm okay with it... I was just thinking... I could paint a beach mural in the baby's room." Steve looked unsure of himself.

"Awww, I love it, Steve. You should absolutely do that!" She was even surprised at how excited she got. "That would be so special."

"Am I moving too fast?" he said, looking unsure once again. "I mean... I guess I'm just really excited."

Natasha moved next to him and leaned back against him. "You're not, it's totally fine. I don't think we should tell anyone just yet but it's okay to get excited with me."

Steve gave her a little squeeze and leaned his face down to hers. "I still just... can't believe this."

"I know," Natasha sighed softly.

"I mean, when you told me you couldn't... that was only part of it for me." Steve got quiet.

Natasha twisted her head toward him a little, waiting for him to go on.

"When I was younger, I really wanted a family but I couldn't even get a girl to dance with me... so that wasn't happening. And then when I became an Avenger... that urge seemed to subside. Maybe it was all the danger, I don't know. But the fact that we're sitting here now... knowing that there's a baby coming, it's.... It's just amazing." Steve breathed in the scent of Natasha and the saltwater. "I can't believe I'm going to be a dad."

"You're going to be the best dad," Natasha said softly.

"How do you know that?" he asked.

"I just know," she smiled. "Besides, you're so good with Clint's kids and really, you're so good with Wanda. It's just your personality."

"Well... thanks," he said. "So when are we expecting this little person? Do you know?"

"I did some digging online and tried a couple of predictors. If that's accurate, it'll be the end of October," she said.

"Wow," Steve said, drifting off. "That makes it so real."

"I'll find a doctor as soon as we get back," she said, pre-empting his next question. She knew him well enough to know that it was coming. "You can come with me, if you want."

"Oh, yeah, sure. Sorry, I kind of forget that it's acceptable to do that now. Part of me still thinks of the dads handing out cigars in the waiting room."

"Are you comfortable being there?" she asked.

"Yes, yes, definitely. I wouldn't miss it for the world."

Natasha let her full weight rest on Steve as she moved her toes in the sand. She stared out at the ocean, feeling intoxicated. "You know, it's a shame, we only have a few days left here... and I kind of have to admit, I'm not thinking about our honeymoon anymore... not so much, really."

Steve laughed, "Yeah, I know what you mean. It's okay... it doesn't bother me if that's what you're worried about. This is pretty big news."

Natasha turned her head against Steve's chest so she could hear his heartbeat as he brushed the hair off her face and held her.