9

Lexies POV

     Dr. Bailey walks in the room followed behind Meredith who has a huge smile on her face. I stare confused at both of them who seem surprisingly upbeat and happy. "Hello!" Meredith says cheerfully, I shake my head. Ive become so restless being stuck in this hospital bed. Although in physical therapy I have learned how to get around in the wheelchair a lot better and Ive been able to move my toes in the now two high tech braces that replaced my casts, which is a huge step in the right direction. I can also take small steps with a special device that lifts me up into the air and puts a limited amount of weight on my legs. 

  I watch as Dr. Bailey hands me a stack of papers. I stare at her in disbelief, she laughs. "You've been working so hard in physical therapy, I talked to Dr. Bends and she said that as long as you continue to do your exercises at home and come in twice a week, you are free to go!" I look back at Meredith who looks like she's gonna cry with the biggest smile on her face. Tears start to whell in my eyes as I look back at Dr. Bailey. "Just take the damn papers!" She says laughing as I take them from her hands and place them on the table over my bed. "Lexie, you can go home!" Dr. Bailey says again, that's when I lose it. I start to cry and pull her into a hug. "Thank you, oh my god!" As I pull away Meredith wipes a few tears from my eyes as I smile even wider at her. "Those better be happy tears Lil Grey!" Dr. Bailey says making my smile beam brighter. "Now sign those papers so we can get out of here!" Meredith says with a smile as I frantically grab the pen and sign my name on the designated spots. Dr. Bailey smiles before leaving the room. "I'm happy for you Grey!" She says looking at me before taking the papers and exiting the room. 

         I look back at Meredith who has already pulled out a backpack and started packing my belongings. She throws some of my blankets from home, clothes and small throw pillows into the large bag before zipping it all the way up. "That was fast!" I say as a nurse brings in a wheelchair and leaves in silence. Meredith just nods at me with a soft smile and helps me into the wheelchair. I thank her as I try and make myself as comfortable as I can in the chair. In PT (physical therapy) I also worked a lot on arm strength for the purpose of wheeling myself around in the wheelchair until I can have my next surgery that should completely reconstruct my legs and allow me to begin training myself to walk again. I'm so ready to be able to walk again! I know it will take a lot and it may be the hardest thing in my life, but I'm ready! 

    Meredith throws the backpack over her shoulder and opens the door for me "You ready?" I nod my head eagerly. As soon as we get into the elevator and press the down button Meredith has a goofy smile plastered on her face. "What?" I ask confused, she just shakes her head with the same look on her face. I shake my  head as the elevator door opens, when I look outside, I see all of my friends all lined up with huge smiles on their faces. I look back at Meredith with a shocked look, she is just smiling and encouraging me to move front so she can get out of the elevator. I smile as we pass everyone. I am overwhelmed by the amount of people are here. Everyone is here! "Congrats Lexie! I'm so happy for you!" Arizona says as I pass her and Callie, I smile at them as we exit the hospital. Meredith smiles at me "We couldn't send you off without all of this!" I smile at her and shake my head. 'I love you Lex, and I'm so proud of you!" I smile at her as I stop pushing myself in the wheelchair for a second "I love you too!" I pause "But where is the car?" I ask suddenly aware that I have no idea where I am going. She doesnt say anything, she just points to a car. I slowly make my way to it as the front door opens and out walks Mark.

  "Mark!" I scream trying to get myself close to him as soon as possible. He slows me down by getting to me and hugging me. "I'm so sorry Lex!" I hear in his voice he is crying but I try to ignore it. I dont care that I haven't seen him in a while right now. We are together now, that's what matters! "Let's go home!" I say smiling at him through tears. He nods his head with a smile through his tears and helps me into the back seat of the car. He folds up my wheelchair and puts it in the back of the car. Before we know it, we are headed home. Home.