Seven

Skidding to a stop, I turned my head towards a muggle who was staring down at a particularly unordinary egg in his hand.  Its silver hue could be seen from miles away, and I quickly recognized it as an occamy egg.

It shook in the muggle's palm, and he looked up. "Hey!" He called out to Newt. "Mr. English Guy! Your egg is hatching!" I looked back and forth between the egg and Newt, who's eyes widened at the sight of the egg. He quickly wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled out his wand, pointing it at the muggle. He flew across the bank to us and we disapparated behind a pillar.

Newt quickly took the egg from the man just as it hatched, a baby occamy peeping out of the shells. He cradled it gently before placing it into his suitcase.

Newt jogged down into what I assumed was the basement of the bank, and the muggle and I shared a glance before following him. 

"Newt, what are you doing?" I asked frantically, looking around. We were standing in front of a bank vau--- wait... I saw the small niffler try to squeeze himself in between the vault door and pulled out my wand. "Oh no you don't."  Muttering a quiet alohomora, the lock on the door turns slowly.

"Trying to steal the money, huh?" All 3 of us whipped around to see a bank worker. He presses a button on the wall that probably notified the others that we were down here. "Petrificus Totalus!" Newt pointed his wand at the worker. He fell back as stiff as a plank, unable to move.

"Mr. Bingley!" The muggle with us ran forward as the vault door finally opened,  revealing the niffler lying on a pile of gold and jewels. "Really?" Newt exasperated and seized him, turning him upside down and shaking him. The jewels in his pouch fell to the floor one after the other. 

I urge him to hurry as we hear footsteps running down the steps. It was a bunch of policemen, weapons drawn.  The muggle raised his arms, "Don't shoot! Don't shoot!" He shouted. I grab Newt's hand and run to the muggle, grabbing his coat before apparating outside the bank.

As soon as we were outside, Newt shoved the niffler into the case. "For the last time, keep your paws off of what doesn't belong to you!" With that, he closed the case and locked it. 

"What the hell was that?" The muggle asked, panting hard. 

"Nothing that concerns you." Newt stated as I pulled out my wand. 

"Now excuse me sir, on behalf of MACUSA I apologize for the inconvenience, blah blah blah, I don't know why they have us say these things if the muggles aren't gonna remember." I sigh and point the wand at him when his swings his own suitcase straight at the side of my head. I topple over into Newt as the muggle runs off. 

"Sorry lady!" He yells over his shoulder. 

"That's gonna leave a bruise." I hold my head as Newt steadies me. 

"You alright?" I nod and smile at him. He suddenly grabs my arm and pulls me close to him, and it's then that I notice a woman approaching us. I try to act nonchalant as she walks by but she grabs me by the shoulder and we are apparated to an alley way.  

The woman lifts her head and I see who it is. I immediately groan.

"Well, that's rude. You should try being nice especially since I might report you for not doing your job." She scowls at my immature behavior and I scowl back.

"Porpentina."

❦    ❦    ❦

❦    ❦    ❦

"Hello again, Eve." Tina smiled sarcastically at me. "How are your studies? Still working on the department admission form?" Oh, she did not.

"Oh, I am fine, how's your demotion been?" I saw her eyes widen, then narrow at me.

"Um....I do need to get on my way." Newt tried to sneak off behind me, but Tina was quick to grab his collar.

"Oh, no, sir." She pulled him back so he stood face to face with her. "Who are you?"

"I'm sorry?" Newt yanked himself away from her grasp.

"Who are you?" She repeated.

"He is Newt Scamander." I stood in between him and Tina before she could manhandle him again.

"And you are?" He asked.

Tina ignored his question. "What is that thing in your case?" She said in disgust. I gaped at her, restraining myself from punching her.

"That's a niffler." Newt and I answered at the same time.

"Why in the name of deliverance dane did you let that thing loose?"

"I didn't mean to. He's incorrigible, you see, anything shiny, he's all over the place---"

"You didn't mean to." Tina crossed her arms over her chest.

"No."

"You could not have chosen a worse time to let that creature loose! We're in the middle of a situation here! I am taking you in." Tina grasped Newt's wrist, and I quickly grabbed her's.

"Hold on, don't I get a say?" I dared her to say anything else.

She quickly smirked at me, replying with a simple, "Nope."

"Sorry but you're taking us where?" Newt asked innocently.

Tina pulled out her badge and flashed it to him. "Magical Congress of the United States of America."

"So, you work for MACUSA?" He asked incredulously, then turned to me. "You too?"

I sighed and nodded, pulling out my own badge. I watched as Newt's eyes skimmed over the law enforcement title that I held.

"Anyway," Tina interrupted, "that's a section 3A, Mr. Scamander, I'm taking you in."

"Tina, no wait a mi---" "Oh, I'm taking you in too, Evangeline." She glared at me. "You failed to obliviate that man." I frowned, knowing it was true.

Tina sighed and grabbed our arms, quickly disapparating us away to our place of work.