Chapter 9

Lilypetal's POV

To be honest, I didn't know if I was relieved or completely dismayed at this point.

As Goldenpaw's and Snowpaw's apprentice ceremony had ended, I couldn't help at the time letting out a shaky sigh. I could barely stand how much I missed my kits already. I had always looked forward to going back to my warrior duties, of course, but I would never get to bond with them as much anymore, since I would be busy with warrior duties and they would be training.

But I'm going to do all in my power to try and keep our relationship as close as it can be, despite us being separated, I told myself. Sharing a nest in the nursery together isn't the extent of our relationship!

I was pulled away from my deep thoughts as I felt Thornclaw, who was still next to me, nudge me on the shoulder.

"Hey, look there," Thornclaw whispered into my ear, nodding to the camp entrance.

I followed my mate's gaze to see Goldenpaw's tail disappearing through the gorse tunnel, Brackenfur and Snowpaw following close behind.

"Our daughters walking out on their first day as apprentices," Thornclaw continued, a purr rumbling in his throat.

"Well, I'll be darned," I purred back, continuing to push the immense sadness and grief I felt in my heart. "They are going to be fantastic, aren't they?"

"I have no doubt," Thornclaw murmured, twinning his tail around mine.

I let out another rough sigh as I leaned on the golden tabby's shoulder, my mind spiraling with so many different emotions. I almost immediately lifted my head back up, realizing that I really needed to go out and clear my head.

I turned my head to meet Thornclaw's gaze. "I'm going to take a walk in the forest. Do you want to come with me?" I asked him, touching my nose to his cheek. "I'd love your company."

Thornclaw sighed as I pulled away, giving me a look that was a mix of warmth and regret. "I would, but I've already been assigned to lead a hunting patrol. We're supposed to leave once the apprentice ceremony is done," he meowed softly. "I'm sorry, my love."

I rolled my eyes and meowed sarcastically, "And you should be sorry! Serving your Clan? How dare you?"

Thornclaw purred with amusement and touched his nose to mine. "I'll see you later," he murmured before turning around to join Brightheart, Hollyleaf and Lionblaze. "Let's go on a walk together later, if you feel up to another one!"

I gave my mate a warm look before beginning to pad over to the camp entrance. Quite frankly, I was quite excited to get away from the hustle and bustle of the camp for a while. Going out to hunt for Ashfur and chasing him out had made me realize how much I missed getting out of camp. Visits from cats, Thornclaw, and my kits were the only things keeping me sane! I realized.

Just as I was about to crawl through the gorse tunnel, I heard a voice call my name from behind me.

"Hey, Lilypetal!"

I whipped my head around to see Squirrelflight trotting up to me. "Did I hear you saying that you were going on a walk?" She asked. I tilted my head as I noticed that their was a small gleam of anxiety in her eyes. "May I join you?"

I immediately nodded and beckoned Squirrelflight to follow with my tail. "Of course you can!" I insisted as the two of us then walked side by side out into the forest.

For several heartbeats, we just walked in silence. Not necessarily because there was nothing to say. Rather, I had noticed that Squirrelflight seemed extremely deep in thought, and for some reason I felt like if I said something, I would cut her off from whatever she was trying to decipher inside that head.

But, I couldn't ignore the immense stress that radiated from the dark ginger she-cat. Her fur was slightly bristled, and her green eyes continued to glisten with anxiety.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked softly to Squirrelflight as I touched her ear with my nose. I flicked my ears as I watched Squirrelflight sigh and then proceed to sit down as we arrived in a small clearing.

There was more silence for several heartbeats. So, when Squirrelflight finally spoke, I nearly flinched.

"There are so many things running through my head," the she-cat murmured, shaking her head slowly.

"Well, that's completely understandable!" I insisted. "A lot has happened lately." I then proceeded to put the tip of my tail on Squirrelflight's shoulder. "But hey, Ashfur is gone! And now we know that he is gone for sure. Hopefully that makes things a little easier?"

Squirrelflight sighed. "I wish I could say that," Squirrelflight muttered, "But Ashfur might as well not have left at all."

I raised my eyebrows as I tilted my head with intrigue. On the inside, I actually found myself having to push down a bit of frustration. You and I sure went through a heck of a lot to get him out of here, I thought. But alright... whatever flies your hedgehogs.

I took a deep breath as Squirrelflight finally continued. "Jayfeather, Hollyleaf, and Lionblaze don't seem to care one bit that Ashfur is gone," she explained. "They seem to grow angrier and angrier with me every day."

Squirrelflight then lowered her head to the ground, letting out a huff and clearly hesitating to say what she wanted to say next.

"And... they keep trying to make me tell them who their real mother is," she murmured in a voice just barely above a whisper.

I narrowed my eyes as I was suddenly brought back to the night of the fire that had ripped through ThunderClan's camp. Firestar had sent me back to camp to see if any more cats were left, and I had arrived to find myself in a confrontation that I didn't dare bring myself into. I had come to see that Ashfur had trapped Hollyleaf, Lionblaze, and Jayfeather in a fire, blocking their way of escape. He had claimed that he was doing it to seek revenge against Squirrelflight because she hadn't become his mate.

In her rage, Squirrelflight had revealed that the three cats trapped in the fire were not really her kits, and that Lionblaze, Jayfeather and Hollyleaf had been living their lives as a lie.

Up until now, I hadn't dared asked Squirrelflight who their real mother was. It wasn't like I didn't care, but I just didn't want to tread my paws where they didn't belong.

I then let out a quiet snort to myself. Well, I suppose we're way past that at this point, I realized. I mean, it's the whole reason I've made an enemy out of Ashfur in the first place!

I opened my mouth and immediately closed it again, trying to figure out what I wanted to say. Maybe if I found out who the mother is, I could help them hide the secret! I realized to myself. What's the worst that could happen? I ask her who it is and she says she's not comfortable telling me? I'm okay with that!

Coming to a decision, I took a deep breath before speaking.

"So... I hope you don't mind me asking, but who is the mother?"

Squirrelflight lifted her head and looked at me, her eyes flashing with alarm.

Shoot, now she's mad at me. I never should have asked.

I looked away, not being able to bear keeping Squirrelflight's gaze. "Sorry..." I murmured to her. I raised my eyebrows in surprise as I then felt Squirrelflight put the tip of her tail on my shoulder.

"It's fine, really" she assured me. "I... I understand why you'd ask."

I turned back to face her. Is she actually going to tell me?

I simply watched as Squirrelflight then sighed and closed her green eyes.

"The mother is Leafpool."