Chapter 14

Lilypetal's POV

My heart immediately began to beat at triple the speed as I watched the snake slowly make its way towards Millie's kit.

"No!" I yowled. And, without thinking, I began to charge towards the three kits. No way am I letting a kit die from a snake today!

I then gasped, skidding to a halt as I suddenly saw a flash of golden ginger fur, and I shook my head quickly to see that Honeyfern had gotten to Briarkit first, gently shoving her out of the way.

I sighed with relief. Good, Brairkit is safe.

But my ease didn't last long. Honeyfern may have shielded Briarkit from getting bitten, but Honeyfern herself was still in harm's way. I let out an anxious squeal as I watched the snake continue to slither towards the young she-cat. "Honeyfern, look out!"

But unfortunately, my warning had come just a moment too late. Just as I had been speaking, the fox-hearted snake had already fastened its small, but sharp teeth in Honeyfern's shoulder.

My mouth dropped and I was overwhelmed with dismay as I watched Honeyfern spring backward. "Help!" She screeched out helplessly.

Oh my StarClan... no, no...

I then flinched as I felt a cat brush my flank, and I averted my gaze to see Brackenfur and Sorreltail pelting towards their daughter, who was now lying on the ground, her paws splayed out. Berrynose was bending over his mate, his eyes full of fear and terror.

My heart nearly broke as I heard Sorreltail's shaky meow. "No... oh, no..." I heard her whisper as she dug her muzzle into Brackenfur's shoulder. "I can't lose another kit! Not after Molekit! Please, StarClan..."

Just when I thought I couldn't bear to watch the scene unfolding in front of me anymore, I let out a small huff, being able to feel a bit of consolation as I noticed Leafpool quickly padding over to the group of cats.

"Stand back and give me some room," she ordered the cats surrounding Honeyfern.

"I'm not leaving," I heard Berrynose demand, and as I heard the plea in his voice, I found that my heart absolutely ached for the poor tom. I knew Berrynose to be quite the frustrating individual, but I certainly would never wish anything like this on him in a million moons.

I then watched as Leafpool began to hover over Honeyfern. I looked up to the sky. Please StarClan, be with Honeyfern, and be with Leafpool too! I prayed. Leafpool must know what to do, and Honeyfern can't lose to this!

I then found myself screwing my eyes shut, not being able to handle the pain in my heart as I heard Honeyfern's pained yowls. "Help me! My blood is on fire! Help me please! It hurts so much!"

Almost as if Thornclaw had sensed my need for comfort, I suddenly felt a pelt brush against mine, and I turned to see the familiar golden pelt of my mate. I let out a small whimper before digging my head into Thornclaw's chest. Please StarClan, please... I told my warrior ancestors as I felt Thornclaw wrap his tail around my shoulders.

"Do something!" I heard Berrynose beg, I assumed to Leafpool. "One of you, do something!"

More silence fell over the camp after Berrynose's words. As curious as I was to see what was happening, I found that I couldn't pull my head away from Thornclaw's chest.

I finally forced myself to lift my head as I then heard Sorreltail's yowl. "Why aren't you doing anything?"

"I'm so sorry," I could then just barely hear Leafpool's whisper. "There is nothing I can do. The poison has taken hold of her."