Chapter 23

Goldenpaw's POV

"Oh, no, Hollyleaf!" I yowled, staring down at the old tunnel and watching the earth quickly begin to crumble down. I could just barely see Hollyleaf's black fur as the dirt and rocks pummeled over her body.

I knew that I couldn't just watch this happen, not when I could change things. Now is my time to be a hero! I realized, padding closer and closer to the collapsing tunnel, scoping the area and deciding the best place that I could dive in. The worst that could happen is that I am struck by a few clods of dirt! It will be worth it if I'm saving a Clanmate. It's what a warrior would do.

As I then began to crouch down, I felt a tail wrap itself around my own and pull me back. I yelped before turning to meet Lilypetal's blazing hazel gaze. My heart began to pound as I thought that I had never seen Lilypetal look so angry.

"Goldenpaw," Lilypetal growled like she never had before. "Don't even think about it."

There's no time to argue! I told my mother in my head. I'm doing this.

"I'm sorry!" I yowled to one of the dearest cats to me before whipping my head around, wrapping my teeth around my tail and then yanking it out of Lilypetal's grip.

Here we go.

Pushing away any fears or doubts, I backed up a few pawsteps and then leaped straight for the tunnel, trying to visualize myself flying straight through the falling earth.

"Goldenpaw! No!" I heard Lilypetal's earsplitting yowl, but there was no turning back, now that I was in the air. I screwed my eyes shut as dirt pelted into my eyes. I outstretched my legs and paws, ready to push Hollyleaf forward once I got to her. I couldn't help but let out a screech of pain as I was nearly blinded by debris.

But thank StarClan, just a moment later, I felt my paws thump into a furry mass, and I found myself crashing into Hollyleaf, pushing her out of the way of the falling dirt and rocks.

I did it!

"Wha-?" I heard Hollyleaf exclaim as I slammed into her. The both of us then flopped onto the ground as we both landed, and I could just barely still hear Lilypetal calling my name, Lionblaze's and Jayfeather's yowls blending with hers.

I just lied where I was for a few heartbeats, trying to catch my breath as the last of the earth then closed in. And then, it was silent. If Lilypetal, Jayfeather or Lionblaze were still calling out, I certainly couldn't hear them.

I let out a huff as I slowly got myself to stand up, wincing slightly at some minor scratches I had gotten with the jump. I shook out my fur, almost as if to try and shake off the pain. I lifted my head, scanning my gaze around to look at my surroundings. It's almost no use though! I realized. I can barely see a thing!

My gaze then fell on the wall that had been formed, where there used to be an entrance into the cave. I gasped, now processing the fact that the way I had entered was now closed off. I quickly leaped over to the wall of dirt and rocks and tried to dig up, or dislodge something.

In those moments as I was so concentrated on finding a way of escape, I nearly forgot that someone else was in this tunnel with me, so I flinched and let out a startled yelp when Hollyleaf suddenly spoke from behind me.

"It's no use, Goldenpaw! Don't even try," the black she-cat growled, her pawsteps echoing through the tunnel. "We're stuck."

Oh, no!

I turned to face Hollyleaf, who in the darkness just looked like a pair of green eyes. "There has to be some way out!" I wailed, whipping myself around again to play with the rocks. I suddenly felt myself welling up with panic, for one of the first times ever. I don't regret saving Hollyleaf, not even a little bit, I thought. But... It's unfortunate that it had to happen at the cost of being trapped away from my family, Clanmates, and apprentice duties...

I then shook my head quickly. Don't think like that, I told myself. You saved Hollyleaf, and you are going to find a way out of here soon.

Feeling a sudden surge of determination, I began to dig with all of my might at the wall of dirt. I can do this. I can do this! I kept repeating into my head. I even felt a little more encouraged as I watched some dirt clods thump onto the cold ground.

"Hey, Goldenpaw!" I heard Hollyleaf meow from further away than she had been before. "Forget about that for now. Come here and look at this!"

"Hold on!" I called back, letting my forepaws land back onto the ground from where they had been digging. As excited as Hollyleaf had sounded, I was very reluctant to leave my work. Lilypetal was no more than a few tail-lengths above me, I knew that I could dig up to her if I really tried.

But... maybe if I take some time, the dirt will maybe loosen? I tried to tell myself before shrugging. I'll just try again after I go and see what Hollyleaf wants.

Taking one more glance at the dirt wall, I then turned around and padded carefully through the tunnel, trying to focus on following Hollyleaf's scent, and not the darkness seeming to enfold me. After a few more steps, I was then surprised to see that there was light up ahead, and I could make out the outline of Hollyleaf's thick fur.

The black she-cat glanced back at me as she heard me approach her. "There you are. Finally!" Hollyleaf meowed, beckoning me to her with her tail. "Why try and find your way out when you could look at this every day?"

I finally padded up to stand next to Hollyleaf, and immediately gasped as I processed all of the surroundings. We were standing before quite a large area, a cave, the walls rising a couple of fox-lengths high. A small stream ran across the center of the cave floor. Moss was growing all over the walls, and the area was somewhat lit by a small hole in the top, where moonlight was able to shine through.

"Wow!" I exclaimed, trying to take in every piece of the area in front of me. This is absolutely beautiful! I could stay here forever!