Chapter 19

Goldenpaw's POV

"Get out!"

I was still talking with Mousewhisker when I suddenly heard a screech come from the medicine cat den. I immediately gasped, wondering what could've gone so horribly wrong for a cat to let out a yowl.

I exchanged an anxious glance with Mousewhisker, before looking back at the medicine den to see Snowpaw practically fly out of the den as if she had been thrown.

Without a word, I began running over to my sister, but stopped as I heard Mousewhisker's footsteps following closely behind.

"It's okay, Mousewhisker," I insisted to my friend. "I can see what's the matter."

Mousewhisker's eyes then looked as if they were going to pop out of his head. "Are you kidding me?" The gray and white tom exclaimed. "Your sister just got thrown from the medicine den! Is Jayfeather back and we didn't even notice?"

A shiver ran down my spine. As much as Jayfeather would do that, I don't think he could ever truly bring himself to, I realized. Someone else threw Snowpaw out of that den.

Shaking my head quickly, getting out of my nervous thoughts, I nodded to Mousewhisker. "Yes, I'll take care of it," I answered. "I'll call you if I need your help."

Mousewhisker still looked reluctant, but after a few heartbeats he finally dipped his head. "Fine," he murmured. "But you had better keep your word, Goldenpaw."

I nodded to the young warrior. "I will," I reassured him before turning away to run over to Snowpaw, who had been standing right outside of the medicine den, trembling. When she saw me approaching her, she padded up to me to meet me in the middle of ThunderClan camp.

I pressed my flank up against hers, almost out of the hope that she would stop shaking. "Snowpaw, what happened?" I asked her shakily. I realized then that I suddenly felt as nervous as she looked.

My sister took a few heartbeats to answer, as she kept glancing back at the medicine den, her blue eyes big, wide moons. "W-when I was still sorting herbs... Hollyleaf came in."

I narrowed my eyes and flicked my ears. "Hollyleaf?" I questioned. "Didn't she go to the Gathering? Why is she back before the rest of ThunderClan is?"

"I have absolutely no idea," Snowpaw nearly whispered, her head now looking straight at the ground below. "I-I asked her what she was doing in there, and..."

I twitched my tail eagerly, waiting for Snowpaw to go on after she paused. "And?" I encouraged. "And what?"

I pressed closer to Snowpaw as she released a small shiver. "She... she growled at me, and said that if I didn't leave right at that moment, she would try and kill me too." she meowed quietly, her voice faltering at the last few words.

My mouth instantly dropped. Did Hollyleaf just threaten my sister? Why?

"Too?" I repeated out loud, after having fully processed Snowpaw's words. What had Hollyleaf meant by "too"?

Had she killed someone?

Snowpaw shook out her fur, and it looked like she was beginning to calm down. "Anyway," she mewed a bit more loudly, "before I could tell her that I was just sorting herbs, she picked me up by the scruff and threw me out!" It seemed she was trying to keep in a wail of despair as she recalled that moment.

I shook my head, Snowpaw's latest words almost going in one of my ears and out the other. I still wondered what Hollyleaf was up to, and why in the name of StarClan she had threatened Snowpaw by saying that she would kill her. Of course, there's always jokes, I told myself. But throwing a cat out of a den isn't very funny...

I slowly tried to pad closer to the medicine den, my eyes narrowed. "Did you get any glimpse of what she was doing in there?" I lowered my voice down to a very low whisper, suddenly realizing that Hollyleaf might be able to hear us from where she was.

Snowpaw quietly tip-toed up to stand beside me. "No," she answered. "I didn't even get the chance!"

I nodded slowly, taking one more step closer to the medicine den. Before I could take another, I blinked quickly as a fluffy white tail suddenly overtook my vision.

"Goldenpaw!" I heard Snowpaw hiss from beside me. "What do you think you're doing? Are you crazy?"

"Maybe," I murmured, suddenly feeling a large bout of determination. I then began to lower down into a crouch, moving as stealthily as I could towards the den. "Whatever, I'm going to take a look!" I announced confidently. Whatever was happening with Hollyleaf was clearly not good, and I wanted to get to the bottom of it.

After all, once I was I warrior I was going to be facing situations like this all of the time - dealing with other Clans trespassing, border skirmishes, and countless other hinders. And just as Thornclaw told me moons ago, I recalled, part of being a warrior is dealing with all of the changes and difficulties that come your way! Well, I'm going to deal with this one!

"Oh, Goldenpaw, be careful," Snowpaw hissed quietly. "She could throw you out too!"

I shot her a glare as my concentration was broken by her words. "Keep your fur on! I'm just taking a peek."

I then watched as Snowpaw nodded, slowly backing away from me as I turned my head back around to look at the den swarming with herb scents. I twitched my tail slightly as I arrived just by the entrance, right out of view to anyone inside.

I pricked my ears trying to catch any noises, and I let out a quiet gasp as I heard Hollyleaf, I assumed, digging through all of the herb stores. The sounds of the rustling of the herbs were unmistakeable. Hm, maybe I should have Snowpaw come over and confirm it for me, I joked before bringing myself back into focus.

I took a deep breath, deciding that I needed to shift over a little more so that I could see what was going on inside of the den. Slowly but surely, I peered my head inside.

Sure enough, the black pelt of Hollyleaf was standing near the back of the den where the herb stores were. Her head was down, and her paws were moving extremely quickly, as if she was looking for something.

I watched for several heartbeats as Hollyleaf dug through the leafs and berries. I then lashed my tail with intrigue as Hollyleaf shook her head quickly, as if she had recalled something. She turned her head to look over to a more secluded spot in the den before padding over to the area and picking something up from the ground.

I nearly screwed my eyes shut, trying to make out what Hollyleaf was holding in her paws. What does Hollyleaf even need with any herbs, anyway? I wondered, my stomach twisting as I awaited to find out the answer.

Fortunately, but also unfortunately, my question was instantly answered. When the black she-cat spread out the herbs on some leaves, I instantly knew what they were, thanks to Snowpaw.

Deathberries!