Chapter 15- Dear Blood...

Damien's P.O.V.:

It was Monday, and after a long, exhausting weekend of mulling over the prophecy our Elder had given us, Tyler, River and I were exhausted. Rose and Dina had helped some, but Dina was busy organizing ceremonies to come, because I had given her the role of my secretary, for the time being. All four of us walked groggily down the halls, and several students, especially ones from our pack, could feel it radiating off of us in waves. I was probably the crankiest of all of us, River being the second and Tyler and Dina being tied for quietest while tired. It was strange though, that Rose was the most upbeat of all of us. She usually was a pessimist amongst us, but not she had pep in her step and bounced along the purple tiles with a newfound grace.

"Come on," Rose said, her eyes gleaming with the usual fire they held, "Don't be so gloomy! The sun is shini-" I grabbed Rose by the collar of her shirt and glared at her, "Oh shut up. What's your deal anyways?" I groaned, holding her still admist crowds of people surrounding and bumping into us. Dina's sigh drew everyone's attention to her, and her hands raised ever-so slightly as our eyes burned into her's. "Rose found her mate," Dina said apprehensively, "however, She won't tell me who." I glanced to Rose who nodded slowly, and I rolled my eyes, setting her down and walking away, I didn't look back.

---

I sat with my legs folded on a chair while leaning into River as Mr. Pink spoke in a usual monotone voice in front of the class. I heard Tyler's faint scribbling of notes on a paper, the faint whispering of students all around me. It was nice to hear something other than the dull, emotionless voice of a 40-year-old man. The chatter rose and fell as usual in a class, only to rise greatly something moved outside. It sounded like a loud thump against the class, which distracted everyone from what they had been saying or ignoring, and their voices turned to rapid cries.

I stood up, shoving River off of me and walking to the window, looking down on the roof of the next building. Everyone crowded around me, including Tyler and River, who stood on either side of me, trying to look over the counter and down onto the roof. I was the only one who could see, being the tallest in the class, and what I saw chilled me: Spattered blood laid strewn all about the roof of another building, which our class had looked down on. Roses and blood mingled with one another to create a sickening rich red color, and long drags of the blood carried around the splatters where it was strewn. The roses stuck up in many places, and it was not only them that made me gag. Across the middle of the blood splattered roof laid a dead deer, it's eyed gouged out, and its intestines strewn carelessly around the roses and blood. Flies buzzed around the deer's head, and flew inside it's open mouth and back out again. It was disgusting. I stumbled backwards from the window, as did everyone else who had moved over to see it. We all stared at one another while Mr. Pink moved everyone away from the windows and stared to call security on the phone. He did not get far as the door swung open and security rushed in to escort us out. We obviously had not been the first ones to notice the blood.

Everyone from the surrounding classes and buildings were lead by a particularly organized group of security into buildings further away from 'the incident', as they referred to it. They wouldn't speak to us about it, and several of the students tried to escape away from them, only to be lead back into the room with glum faces. All of the students were packed into the gym, with the bleachers still tucked in, and as we filed it I realized we were just going to have to sit on the ground. Anger arose in me as almost everyone's eyes followed me as I entered with River and Tyler, and I could tell they all had heard about recent events with me and my pack. Though they didn't realize the extent of them, I knew they had some idea as to what I had gone through.

We all piled ourselves in a far corner, and I shrunk down against the lavender wall, as not to be seen by gazing eyes. River, Tyler and Dina all sat around me, only Rose was missing. "Where is Rose?" I asked Dina, and she looked around, confused. Her brown eyes scanned the area around us, and she shrugged awkwardly. "She was just here," she said, biting her tongue and looking around awkwardly. Having lost her omega, she shrugged. "Whatever," I said, sighing and leaning back a bit. My suspicious were growing with her, is she off with her mate, at a time like this?

My thoughts were interrupted by Tyler. His eyes dazzled even under the fluorescent lights of the Gym, and I could sense how nervous and scared he was, because it radiated off him like skunk smell would. "Why would someone do that?" He asked, his voice shaking and cracking more than it usually did. I shrugged vaguely, but River quickly spoke up. "It's a sign," they said, their eyes glazing over, "like the elder said. It's a sign. We're in danger." They looked scared at what they had just said, and I could tell everyone was freaked out. I didn't know what to say, so I didn't say anything. We sat in silence, giving each other nervous looks. We stayed in the gym until they let us leave, in which everyone lurked for a bit before finally exiting the school with no clues as to what happened.

"Fuck off!" River screamed, falling onto the ground as they lost Mario Cart for the 8th time- in a row- to me. They fell onto the gray carpet, slamming their fists repeatedly and screaming silently into the muted floors. They paused and looked up at me and Tyler laughing, sticking out their tongue they pouted, leaning against the large leather sofa and loudly saying 'hmph' before proceeding to ignore us. "Ah, what a sore loser." Tyler said, nudging my elbow from beside me. I nodded, looking upwards as a shadow was casted over the living room.

Up on the stairs stood a tall, muscular brown-haired kid. He was the current beta's son, Ryder, and he was a total douche. He was my age, and who everyone expected me to pick as my next beta, though I had other plans. He slowly walked down, and though he was extremely handsome, I hated his guts. He was as entitled and rude as his father, and even my father hated him, though favoring him over most candidates to be my beta in the pack. Ryder lingered on the stairs for a moment, before walking down and standing above me. He brushed up against me in a flirtatious manner, leaning down and biting my ear. He liked to flirt with me, though I obviously wasn't his mate. I shoved him off of me, "The fuck do you want?" I growled, flashing my eyes at him.

He licked his lips, moving back over to me and dragging his hands down my bare arm, and the only thing I could do was stare at him in pure disgust. "Seriously, what?" I asked, though it was difficult to prevent myself from laughing at the current situation. Everyone in the pack knew Ryder was only flirtatious to me in an effort to be in a higher rank than everyone else, and I was okay with it until it got out of hand. He tried to hold my hand, desperately trying to grab my fingers as I pulled away, standing above him. "What." I said. He sighed, standing up and sitting on the couch, crossing his legs over one another and resting his hand on his chin while he looked upwards in a "thinking" manner. As if he could even think. "I was just wondering how your beta situation was going?" He asked, looking at me with a gleam in his eyes.

I rolled my eyes, "Listen, Ryder, when I choose my beta, you'll know. Because we'll have a ceremony. So, seriously, leave me the fuck alone." He grunted angrily, "okay fine," he said, standing up and brushing past me, "I'll be waiting, babe." Though he tried to sound flirtatious, I could hear the obvious grit in his teeth as he walked outside the door in a large huff. The last time he had done that to be was after my alpha ceremony, and I had hoped after punching him in the face, he would've taken the hit. But yet, he was relentless in trying to be beta, and I knew that wouldn't play in my favor.

Tyler looked bewildered as I sat down next to him again, and his eyes were wider than I had seen them before. "Don't worry." I said, smiling at him, "He's just a weirdo." I said, nudging Tyler before I started another game.