| 10 | Broken Blade

Agnes curled her lips, unveiling the full extent of her elongated canines. Her auburn, bloodshot eyes blazed as an invisible whirlwind of energy lifted her hair into the air. The ground beneath her feet fractured and split.

   Carden stood there, his expression as unyielding as stone; his lips pressed tightly together, his eyes cold and indifferent. It was clear that her power paled in comparison to his own, and I feared I would soon discover why.

   Her figure blurred, and for a moment, I thought she had turned invisible. But then I caught a glimpse of her to the left, and then the right. Her speed was astonishing, and no matter how hard I tried, my eyes couldn't keep up.

   I hurried further back to avoid getting caught in the imminent crossfire. I didn't know what might unfold, but both of them were dangerous, and I had no place in their conflict.

   Carden took a step forward, causing the ground to rupture around him. I stumbled backward to evade the force, managing to steady myself just in time. Agnes reappeared to Carden's right, brandishing two silver daggers from behind her back.

   "Stand aside!" she growled menacingly. "You are not the one I want to fight!"

   Agnes leaped into the air, hurling herself downward with fierce determination. Carden shifted a mere fraction to the left, and she missed her mark. The moment she landed, he materialized behind her like a shadow.

   Anticipating his movement, Agnes spun around and attempted to strike him. In response, Carden caught her by the throat. Effortlessly, he lifted her into the air with one hand. Her legs thrashed wildly, and she slashed at his arms in desperation. Unfazed, Carden raised her higher, his eyes narrowing like a predator, treating her as if she were insignificant.

   "I... obeyed every... command..." she choked out, struggling for breath. "So why...have you abandoned me..."

   She crumpled to the ground as Carden released his grip. Her weapons clattered beside her. Landing with a thud, she clutched her tender throat, tears streaming down her face.

   "By leaving, I gave you the chance to live. Did you forget my promise?" Carden spoke with authority. At the revelation that her master had not forgotten his memories, Agnes' tears ceased, and even I was taken aback.

   "You do remember me..." she whimpered.

   "Just now." He bent down to one knee and cradled the back of her head. "Agnes, I warned you that if you appeared before me, your life would be forfeit."

   In a fluid movement, he picked up a blade from the ground and thrust it through her chest. Her mouth gaped in horror as she stared down at the weapon protruding from her body. Slowly, her gaze returned to the man she adored. The sight of him so close brought a softness to her expression. She reached forward, pressing her hands against his cheeks.

   "And I said I would follow you until death." As she smiled, the area around the chest wound began to disintegrate into glittering crimson.

   His face, devoid of any emotion or compassion, watched her disintegrate.

   "You've found her again, haven't you..."

   Carden remained silent.

   "But the outcome will always be the same. I pity you, Kain." With those final words, her body crumbled and dispersed into the air. Despite her personality and what she had done, I couldn't help but feel saddened by the way she died.

   A wave of hot and cold sensations washed over me. My knees buckled, and I collapsed. He made murder look like nothing. His movements were icy and precise—no hesitation, no second thought. I felt his gaze upon me but continued to stare at the ground. When his feet entered my line of sight, I finally lifted my head.