| 25 | Second Awakening

Dr. Hughes made arrangements for my morning checkups so that she was the only person working with me. 

No one batted an eye or questioned this change. As the lead researcher, her decisions were met with absolute trust and respect. Even Sage seemed disinclined to refuse her without a legitimate reason.

   "It's no wonder your appearance has changed," said Dr. Hughes, looking up from her microscope. "Your entire cellular structure has changed. When I presented your blood to that of a human sample, it practically consumed it. It's nothing like it was the other day--it can't even be classed as an ordinary vampire."

   "You're saying vampires don't normally change like this?"

   "Not at all. These results make me hesitant to classify you as a vampire at all. It's like your second blood consumption has triggered a second awakening. You're a remarkable, complex existence..."

Her pupils grew hungry above the dark bags below her eyes. She was almost enjoying the turn of events too much. As she put a stethoscope on my skin, I stared at her taut, youthful skin; the steady reverberation of the vein in her neck.

   "Kelsey," she said. "I'm flattered, but I hardly think you would enjoy the taste of an older woman."

I grabbed her wrist and flashed a playful smile. "You don't know what I like."

Her cheeks flushed and she gently pulled away. I apologised for the bad joke.

   "Your personality, too," she said. "It's different. I'm beginning to think that we should be more concerned with your transformation. Who knows when it will stop."

With that, she gave me my complimentary blood packet and ushered me on my way. I paused to put my shirt back on, and then squeeze the contents of the blood packet into my mouth.

   "What's the matter?"

   "It's... bland, almost bitter."

   "That hardly makes sense."

   "It's difficult to explain. But it's like I'm eating liquid plaster."

Dr. Hughes sighed. "You're not going on a rampage if I don't feed you, right?"

   "I don't think so. But would it reassure you that even a single drop could stop the urge?"

   "Just a drop?"

I nodded.

She sighed again and pulled back the white sleeve of her lab coat. In my head, I was smiling, giddy with anticipation, but I had to remain calm and stoic on the outside if I were to taste any of her blood.

   "No teeth. Hold out your tongue."

I did as she asked. Dr. Hughes found a medical needle and lightly pricked her finger. I closed my eyes as the drop of blood landed on my tongue with a sensational splash. 

It was so different from what I knew. In contrast to the raw sweetness, like a ripened fruit, I had experienced with Pace's blood, Veronica's carried a mellow richness; as soothing, complex viscousity.

   "The devices react to your brain activity," she said, noticing me staring down at my restraints. "Had you wanted to attack me, they would have reacted."

I nodded slowly.

   "So, how was it?"

I smiled. "I think I would need a larger amount to properly appreciate it."

I was kicked out of the lab like a lover to the curb. I had never realised how amusing it was to tease someone until then--especially Dr. Hughes. I loved the way her cheeks flushed red and she dropped her gaze for a fraction of a second.