| 15 | The Mentor and the Student

"You." Someone grunted behind me.

I looked over my shoulder to find a man with dark, sleek-backed hair. A scar ran across the bridge of his nose. He licked his cracked lips as he approached, sniffing the air around him.

   "Talking with that human like an equal." He spat. "Disgusting. You even smell like them.

I shuffled back until my back collided with the wall. Trapped. Part of me hoped Elaine would jump out to save me, but knowing her so far, she was likely attempting her fourth escape attempt.

   "I hear you've taken that serum of theirs. Stops you from turning, doesn't it?"

His fist slammed against the wall, just missing me by a fraction.

   "Do you think," he said slowly. "If I drink your blood, I'll become human, too? No reason to keep me locked up here if I'm a human."

I shook my head. "I-I don't think it works like that..."

He ran a finger along my neck, up to my chin.

   "Couldn't hurt to try."

Bang!

The vampire collapsed, clutching his chest. A man dressed in a bronze suit walked over and lightly prodded the vampire with a pointed leather toe. He turned to me and asked, "Are you okay?"

I nodded, my eyes fixated on his silver eyes. He was much taller than I was, with my head barely reaching his chin. An argent cross dangled from his ear and caught the light.

   "Is he dead?"

   "No, no, only a tranquilizer. A nap will do him good."

   "You really saved my life."

   "Don't get used to it. Once I train you, you'll be able to handle yourself."

He flashed a smile and bowed.

"Evander Bronson, at your service. Sage probably told you by now, but we'll start training tomorrow morning--after the doc is done with you. I'll be waiting in the hallway, so be ready."

Two guards came to carry away the sleeping vampire. Evander waved and went along with them. I smiled as he left. He seemed nice.

I returned to my room without any other incidents. It felt like so much had happened in such a short amount of time. I didn't feel emotionally exhausted, though. I felt nothing. 

Sitting on the bed, I stared into the mirror and studied myself; a girl whose body and soul was battered, stripped of hope. If it wasn't for my rage, my desire for revenge boiling my blood, I wondered if I would have any reason to live.

***

The third day as a prisoner began the same as the others. There were monotonous tests, invasive blood samples, and my complimentary packet of blood for being a compliant lab rat. I fell easily into this routine. No matter how many needles they stuck into my arm, the wounds would heal in a matter of seconds. 

What was once a strange phenomenon, soon became a natural quirk. My senses -- being so totally aware of everything around me -- became totally normal, too. So when I caught Evander's scent, the subtle footsteps in the distance, I had finished my blood packet and was ready to begin the day.

Instead of a bronze suit, he wore a jumper and black track pants. He walked casually with his hands in his pockets and hummed a pleasant song.

   "Good morning!" He waved. "You've been fed, right?"

   "Yes," I said.

   "Good, good. It's funny, this is a first for me--meeting one of Carden's turned in broad daylight, on peaceful terms. I've made it three years without getting bitten, so don't ruin my streak."