Beliefs 3

THE MYTH AND THE TRUTH

1) When people think someone is bewitched, is it true that he will get well if his relatives harm or kill the witch?

False! No one is ever helped by harming someone else.

2) Is it true that when the 'soft spot' on top of a baby's head sinks inward this means the baby will die of diarrhea unless he gets special treatment?

This is often true. The 'soft spot' sinks because the baby has lost too much liquid. Unless he gets more liquid soon, he may die.

3) Is it true that if the light of the eclipsing moon falls on a pregnant mother, her child will be born deformed or retarded?

This is not true! But children may be born retarded, deaf, or deformed if the mother does not use iodized salt, or for other reasons.

4) Is it true that mothers should give birth in a darkened room?

It is true that soft light is easier on the eyes of both the mother and the newborn child. But there should be enough light for the midwife to see what she is doing.

5) Is it true that a newborn baby should not be bathed until the cord falls off?

True! The stump of the cord should be kept dry until it falls off. But the baby can be gently cleaned with a clean, soft, damp cloth.

6) How many days after giving birth should a mother wait before she bathes?

A mother should wash with warm water the day after giving birth. The custom of not bathing for weeks following child birth can lead to infections.

7) Is it true that semen poisons the mother's milk?

Not true. However, the custom of not having sex as long as the baby continue to breastfeed does protect the baby by making sure the mother does not get pregnant again too soon.

8) Is it true that traditional breast feeding is better than 'modern' bottle feeding?

True. Breast milk is better food and also helps protect the baby against infection. The yellow coloured milk (colostrum) that comes out first is especially good for the baby.

9) What foods should women avoid during pregnancy and in the few weeks after childbirth?

During pregnancy and in the weeks following childbirth, women should not avoid any nutritious foods. Instead, they should eat plenty of fruit, vegetables, meat, milk, eggs, whole grains, and beans.

10) Is it a good idea to bathe a sick person, or will it do him harm?

It is a good idea. Sick people should be bathed in warm water every day.

11) Is it true that oranges, guavas, and other fruits are harmful when one has a cold or fever?

No! All fruits and juices are helpful when one has a cold or fever. They do not cause congestion or harm of any kind.

12) Is it true that when a person has high fever, he should be wrapped up so that the air will not harm him?

No! When a person has a high fever, take off all covers and clothings. Let air reach his body. This will help the fever go down.

13) Is is true that some babies are born to die?

No, but some children are born with a 'weakness of the blood', which often leads to death.