Hysteria

Hysteria is caused by a sudden fright a person has had, or by witchcraft, black magic, or evil sprits. A person with hysteria is very nervous and afraid. He may shake, behave strangely, not be able to sleep, lose weight, or even die.

Possible medical explanations for hysteria:

1) In many people, hysteria is a state of fear perhaps caused by the power of belief. For example, a woman who is afraid someone will hex her becomes nervous and does not eat or sleep well. She begins to grow weak and lose weight. She takes this as a sign she has been hexed, so she becomes still more nervous and frightened. Her hysteria gets worse and worse.

2) In babies or small children, hysteria is usually very different. Bad dreams may cause a child to cry out in his sleep or wake up frightened. High fever from any illness can cause very strange speech and behavior (delirium). A child that often looks and acts worried may be malnourished. Sometimes early signs of tetanus or meningitis are also called hysteria.

Treatment:

1) When the hysteria is caused by a specific illness, treat the illness. Help the person understand its cause. Ask for medical advice, if needed.

2) When the hysteria is caused by fright, try to comfort the person and help him understand that his fear itself is the cause of his problem. Magic cures and home remedies sometimes help.

3) If the frightened person is breathing very hard and fast, his body may be getting too much air (oxygen)--which may be part of the problem

Hyperventilation

Extreme fright or hysteria with fast heavy breathing.

Signs:

- Person very frightened
- Breathing fast and deep
- Fast, pounding heartbeat
- Numbness or tingling of face, hands or feet
- Muscle cramps

Treatment

1) Keep the person as quiet as possible.

2) Get her to put her face in a paper bag and breathe slowly. She should continue breathing the same air for 2 or 3 minutes. This will usually calm her down.

3) Explain to her that the problem is not dangerous, and she will soon be alright.