Prologue

200 years ago.

WAKING UP IN complete and utter darkness, the smell of intoxicated liquid reeked my room. My body felt frail and weak as I tried to get out of bed. My throat was aching as a result of how dry it was. So dry, it felt as though water would never be enough to soothe my throat.    

As I got out of my room, the scent of something incredibly sweet and rich filled my nostrils. As if it were out of instincts, I leap towards the source of the smell.

   Throbbing pain filled my mouth as two sharp objects emerged and in a blink of an eye, they sank into the woman's neck. She yelped for help once or twice, but soon, her heartbeat gradually slowed down as I drank her blood in until nothing was heard anymore.

   I stared with wide eyes as the body beneath me became limp. Despite the fact that I was scared of what had overcome me to act in such a way, I allowed myself to get a glimpse at the woman I just killed. It was Anna, one of my maids. The woman who practically raised me as a child, the woman who cared about me when mother was busy indulging herself with things that she wants, but not needs. That face full of kindness was now nothing but pale, white skin. Her facial expression looked shocked, her eyes were still opened. My muscular arms quickly but steadily let go of her.  

   As I hurried away from the dead body, too hurt to even look at her again, mother appeared out of nowhere.

   Still in shock from what had happened, I nervously explained to her the events that had just occurred no more than a minute ago. Mother stood there staring at me blankly, like it was perfectly normal to kill an innocent person the way I did.

   "Nothing that is out of the unordinary." Mother smiled with no emotion displayed on her face.

   "'Nothing out of the unordinary'?" My voice was shaking now. I was frightened. Very frightened.

   "Yes, Tyler." Mother replied.

   "What do you mean, 'nothing out of the unordinary'?" I was shouting at mother now. Never did I ever before have the courage to do that to either of my parents.

   "Watch your attitude Tyler. I am still your mother," she said. "Soon enough, you'll learn to control your hunger."

   "What hunger?" I was extremely terrified now, but keen to keep my voice sharp and untouched by my fear. 'What is mother talking about?' I wondered.

    "Your lust for blood," she nonchalantly explained. "Your father turned us into vampires with the help of a witch."

    "But vampires do not exist!" I argued.

    "Oh, they do. You, my dear, you are living proof," she said, her voice was full of laughter, as if everything was a joke to her. She looked pointedly at the dead body laying between Mother and I and continued, "And what you did to Anna is more evidence of what we now are, Tyler."

   "I am not a vampire." The words came out forcefully. I did not even notice how hard I was gritting my teeth until they began to ache.

   "Believe what you wish to believe now, but soon you will accept it."

   Without a single word of reply, I turned and headed back towards my room.

   My parents turned our family into cold blooded vampires. Fucking vampires.

   Killers, in other words.

   I sat on the edge of my bed, trying to endeavor all of what Mother informed me. 

   What about my little sister? I suddenly realized.