Chapter 1

Another Sunday morning. Another day to go through. My plans for the day were simple: Survive. Given the fact that I'm not exactly popular, much less, invisible in high school, it wasn't very hard to 'survive.' 

  I descended down the stairs to the ground floor. I walked to the kitchen and placed my school bag on one of the chairs. I was going to make myself breakfast, since dad was nowhere to be found---not that he'd make me breakfast or anything. 

  The thought of dad not being found in the house made me worry. 'What if he's trapped in the bar? What if he was in the middle of nowhere again?'  My mind raced. 

  I recoiled with fear at the sudden and loud snore that came from where I presumed the living room. I walked slowly and steadily, carefully stepping on the floor. 

  Dad was passed out on the couch in the living room again. The TV was still on and the volume was so high, I began to wonder how dad managed to sleep here. Bottles of beer were scattered all over the wooden floor, causing the room to reek with the smell of alcohol. 

  A car's honking snapped me out of my gaze on dad. Sam was here, on time. Looks like there will be no breakfast for me today. Great.  

  I got my bag from the kitchen's chair and headed straight for the door. 

  Sam was sitting in his blue BMW. By the looks of it, he was about to honk again but thankfully, he saw me. If he honked twice, dad would probably wake up and kill us both for not being in school yet, even though we were ahead of time. 

  I opened the car's door and sat right in. 

  Sam and I have been best friends since kindergarten. Through out all twelve years of friendship, we've been inseparable. I remembered the way he used to have a gap between his two teeth in front and how he used to always wear shoes that looked like they belonged to my great grandfather. 

  But that was years ago. All of that has changed. The gap between his teeth were repaired by a good two year of painful braces. The shoes are now replaced with something more fitting. The only thing that hasn't changed was his jade colored eyes that he knew I adored. And of course, his body is way more fit and toned than it used to be. 

  "Sup, Avie. Hospital again?" He smiled. 

  "Yeah," I replied sheepishly. 

  "Alright then." He switched the engine on and drove north. 

  Awkward silence filled the atmosphere until Sam asked a question that caught me off guard. "How is she?" 

  My eyes widened. "Same as she was seven months ago." 

  He nodded as if he understood, but we both knew he didn't. He was just trying to be a good friend, unlike some of the people who found out. Others only asked because they were looking for new gossip to sink their business in. 

  Sam realized that I wasn't feeling comfortable so he probably thought that turning the radio on would help. It did, but just a bit though. 

  A few minutes passed, when all of a sudden, Sam shrieked like a little girl whose mom just bought her ice-cream. "Oh my God! Avie! That's my jam on the radio!" He shrieked again. 

  Stupid Hoe by Nicki Minaj was playing. I bursted out laughing as Sam sang along to the song and mimick Nicki's face expressions. It took me a while to recover. This was good. I needed to laugh, I needed to be happy, even if it only lasts for a short period of time. I still wanted to be happy. Its what she would have wanted. 

  Moments later, we arrived at my destination. I climbed out of the vehicle with my school bag. "Thank you Sammie." 

  "No problem, kiddo. Oh, and don't be late for school, alright?"