February Wary (2)

"Chocolate Frog" she said to the gargoyle and the door to the office of the headmaster opened.

"Professor?" Lexie called. Apparently the headmaster is out. She sighed, she wanted to talk to him badly, but seeing he has business to attend to, it’s impossible. She wondered around the castle, not knowing where to go or what to do. She is descending in the staircase, when she lost her footing. She stumbled down the steps pushing the person in front of her in the process. Lexie expected to hit the hard cold floor head first and brace for the impact. Instead she felt a firm and warm floor. Maybe I'm already dead since I cannot feel any pain, Lexie thought, she grunts.

"Lexie? Are you okay?"

"I think I'm dead."  She said dumbly.

She heard a chuckle. "No you’re not." Then, there are footsteps coming towards their direction. "What’s happening here?"

"Professor Dumbledore, I was just about to see you in your office.” Lupin said.

I heard chuckles and a familiar and sneer. “Well, all I can see is the two of you in a…. compromising position. Care to explain what you two doing? Or are we disturbing something?"

"I think we just misunderstood, Severus. Let them explain first." Dumbledore said. 

Lexie annoyed, opened her eyes and realized that she is on top of someone. Lying underneath her is none other than Professor Lupin. She just stared at him, until Lexie had come to her senses, blushing, she scampered away from him and stood still.

Lupin slowly stood up too and dusted his robes.

"Well?" Snape inquired as he looked at Lexie then to Lupin.

"Well, Lexie accidentally fell down the stairs, pushing me with her in the fall. I had cast a shielding charm to break my fall, since I don’t have the time to cast another for her," he paused. "I used myself to shield her from the impact."

"None of you are hurt, I see. That's what matters most." Dumbledore said. Lexie stood there awkwardly.

She glanced at Snape and saw him glaring at Lupin. Then Lexie remembered what had happened during her last detention with him. His words echoed in her mind.

I don’t tolerate lazy student.

Student

Student

She really is annoyed with that word with no apparent reason. Maybe I don’t want to be treated as one of his students. Wait…. What? Yeah. That’s right I thought we were something of like friends when he listened and uplift my spirit once. Does that mean he didn’t say those words as a friend, but as a teacher?

“Lexie are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere?” Dumbledore asked when Lexie suddenly went quiet staring at the bored looking Professor Snape.                       

Then a thought came to her, "Headmaster, er- can I ask you something?"

He looked at Lexie thoughtfully, "You just did my dear, but you can ask another."

"I've just read the notice that everyone should come and dance to the Valentines party with a partner, its tradition. Can you er-, be my partner, Headmaster?"

"I'm sorry my dear. As much as I would love to, I can't. I need to supervise it. If you excuse us, we will be heading to my office. You can also come if you want."

Apparently, McGonagall is on temporary leave for some family issue and Lupin will be the Gryffindor’s temporary Head of House. The headmaster asked the heads to have a dance practice for the 14th.

My heart fell. "Do we really have to dance?" Lexie suddenly interlude.

The three of them gazed at her. "Its tradition, my dear." the headmaster said plainly and the twinkle in his eyes is evident.

"Eh?! Please professor. Can you come with me then, Professor Dumbledore? Please reconsider it."

"I'm truly sorry," his tone was polite but there is something in his eyes. "Maybe you could come with.... someone else,"

"You know I have some, umm… you know… issues... and I trust you more than anything. I even consider you as a father." She said the last word barely audible.

"I thank you for that. I also consider you my own, but surely you trust someone else to be your partner."

"Dumbledore is right, Lexie. I’m not sure about your issues though, but-" Lupin joined in the argument.

Lexie knew it’s rude to cut him off, but she still did, "then, can you be my partner Professor Lupin?" she turned and faced him; it’s just a slip of tongue and didn’t intend to say it.

The room fell silent for a moment until I heard Dumbledore chuckle and Snape still glaring at the uncomfortable Lupin.

"I...Albus.." Lupin looked at Dumbledore for help, but he too is out of word or just amused of the situation. "Severus?" he said hopefully.

"Well?" Lexie demanded.

"I..you...I can't be-" he started. "Excuse me headmaster I have some business to attend to..." with that Lupin exited.

"See headmaster?! Besides the fact that I have some issues…., I scare them off for that matter. Even the Professor Lupin, so please let me off the hook." Lexie said with vindication.. "Please?"

"It’s a tradition Lexie, if Remus can’t, then" he paused and looked behind her with his twinkling eyes. She followed his gaze and saw Snape. Did the headmaster think that Snape would say yes? Doubt it. Dumbledore is a mad man.

Dumbledore cleared his throat, "That's final Lexie you will attend the party with a partner. You need to socialize and make more friends. Excuse me I need to talk to Hagrid." he too left his office. Snape walked to leave too, but, "Professor Snape, wait."

"What?"

"You're not scared of me. Right Professor?"

He turned to face me. "Why would I?" he replied with irritation.

"Then, can you-" he cuts me of before I finish. 

"No." he said coldly. With that he exited the office too leaving a frustrated Lexie.

She can take the fact that she would be going to the ball alone, but being alone without her friends. Now that she thought about it, the reason why she enjoyed being in Hogwarts is mainly because of her best friends, her best friends that is always there for her. What she did and said to them was unforgivable. Ken had been right all along. Friends should not envy each other. Lexie didn’t trust them in her being a part vampire. Friends should trust each other, best friends.

She missed them.

 Lexie felt that she’s the worst kind of friend. All they did was care for her and treat her as a family, but she did nothing in return. She needed to apologize to them before their friendship be totally destroyed beyond repair.