Prologue

I screamed. It burned my throat as my mouth conducted this large boom. It was a shock wave that traveled through the trees, that bent the branches, and made leaves tremble and fall. I squinted my eyes, hoping that maybe I could stop the tears, but it was already too late. My eyes were like an overflowing pool. It was unfair. I could never face this. This fear and sadness held me down with great power, I fell to my knees. Ezra rested his hand on my shoulder. He was trying to comfort me. I actually appreciated it. But that feeling almost disappeared instantly.

"Why?!" I tried to scuff out through my tears. I just couldn't comprehend. I was focused on him. I was cradling his lifeless body in my arms. I was rocking us back and forth. I rested my forehead on his. Nothing could ever take this pain away. Nothing would ever be the same. Tears were streaming down my face like an Earth runoff. I watched my tears fall gently on his cold, empty face. These tears were soon replaced by even more tears, blurring my vision. I couldn't bear looking at him like this. I was holding him close, but even now I felt alone.

"He saved my life, Alexis." Ezra's voice was shaken, his gaze didn't leave the body. I looked up at his face. His jaw was unlocked, and his body, still. After seconds that seemed like minutes, Ezra started taking steps towards me. I could tell by his expression, that he wanted to leave. I held the body closer to me than ever before, thinking to myself, I should've held him like this when he was still alive. My eyes flooded like never before...

"No! No! I can't leave him!" I yelled into the empty air. Ezra grabbed my arm in hopes to drag me away. He yanked me away from him. I tried to fight back. I wasn't letting go. Not this time. This was all just a nightmare, and it was all coming true. I would never dream of this. I only dreamed of the future. As bright as the stars on the night we met, but now it is as dim as the emptiness of space, where I would look for some console. Ezra tightened his grip, and it pained me. My screaming didn't cease. I was bawling. It was mere seconds in apart of an eternity.

"Lex, you have to let him go."
"It's Alexis." I grit my teeth. Only he could call me Lex. Nobody else should call me Lex. That name died with him.
"I'm sorry Alexis, but I can't change this."
"Don't treat me like a child, Ezra." I cried. I never knew I could shed so many tears. His body was freezing. Colder than any lonely night could ever be. I looked straight into Ezra's eyes. He couldn't bear this either. It was time. I glanced back at the body that rested in my hands. I leaned in toward it and rested my forehead against his. I inhaled deeply, storing my feelings inside. I deftly touched the lifeless skin, and kissed him on the lips. I couldn't even begin to comprehend this would be our last kiss. How dare fate tear love apart. Love might be beautiful while it lasts, but when it is torn to shreds by death itself, love is distant and plain stupid. I thought to myself, I could never forgive the world, this terrible, horrible world. I slowly laid him back down on the damp grass and looked at Ezra.

"Leave him."

I stared back down at his face. How pale, and how cold it was. I never thought I'd live the day to see him like this. The dam opened once again, and my tears flowed onto my face, warming my skin in the worst way.

"I love you."

It was all my fault. I should have said those words before he was gone, forever. It seemed so simple, it was just three words. Now, he will never know. Now, the memories are carved and halted into my head for an eternity, just frozen. Ezra gave his hand out to me, in which I didn't take it. I swiftly joined him from a few feet away and stayed close to his side. I turned behind me to see the body one final time. I closed my eyes and looked away. This would be the last time I will ever see him. How terrifying this would be how I finally looked upon him. As we walked to Ezra's truck, I looked up at the sky, hoping maybe he could be watching me now.

"I'm sorry," I whispered.