Thorn #6

Itachi and Shisui were by the cliff that overlooked the river banks hundreds of metres down below. It was a place where they would frequently go when they needed to talk about things that they didn't want others to eavesdrop on, but it was also a place where they could relax, even if just a bit.

"I heard that that killer struck again." Shisui turned to Itachi. Previously, he was facing the river, watching the waves harshly strike the rocks.

The older Uchiha's voice was light hearted, but Itachi, being his long-time friend, could tell that it was just a disguise to cover the tension his voice held.

The younger ANBU nodded in affirmation. "We still haven't caught them."

"Why is it so hard to catch this killer?" Shisui let out an exasperated sigh, scratching the back of his head in thought. "Even if he is a ninja, wouldn't it be natural to at least leave behind a clue that will get us to them?"

Itachi stared at Shisui while thinking—the results of the investigation of the recent murder had actually produced a lot more clues than they were used to. It was good so that they could catch the killer soon, but there was also a possibility that they were doing this on purpose.

"We did have a fruitful investigation." Itachi said after a moment.

"That's good." Shisui could only smile, but it dropped after a couple of seconds.

"Are you worried that they'd go after Koharu-san?" Itachi questioned.

"...you got me." Shisui laughed lightly. "I'm just a bit on edge because of what's happening back at the compound and if Koharu's safe or not."

Itachi could understand his worry. Of course, it wasn't easy balancing a work life and personal life when work life seemed to bleed into personal life.

Itachi, even though he was younger, wanted to say something that would cheer his best friend up, even just a little. "I think Sasuke likes talking to her."

Shisui raised a brow at Itachi's attempt, knowing exactly what he was doing. He then laughed, "Koharu told me about what Sasuke's been saying to her. It's quite funny. They're all coincidences, though."

"Is that so?" The younger mentally sighed a little in relief.

There was silence, only the wind blowing and rustling the leaves.

"Itachi, tomorrow night I'll be on patrol at night." Shisui broke it. He turned to another direction, staring up at the retreating sunset orange.

"That's when they will murder again." Itachi realised, saying his words slowly.

Shisui nodded. "We got a tip off where the next one will be, so we'll be around that area." He added, "Oh, by the way, you're not going to be on duty then so can you escort Koharu home when she closes shop?"

Itachi tilted his head slightly, but nodded without complaint. It was the first time his friend had asked him, so he didn't mind.

"I'll make sure she gets home safely."

-

The day after, night was coming. Shisui had already gotten ready for his night patrol shift, along with a few others that were scheduled too.

Evening was coming and he knew, it was around this time he had to be weary of. The darkness was a clever way to cover for something horrendous, therefore they had to be extra careful with caution.

Itachi should be about to send her home around this time...Shisui thought. He was perched up in a tree nearly, making sure he wasn't seen by anybody.