Chapter 33

The wedding went by as a blur. Everything seemed to happen too fast. One minute Jane and I were trying on dresses, the next moment I watched her vow ‘I do’ in front of hundreds. I felt so happy at that moment for Jane that I couldn’t help but cry a little. Alex held my hand throughout. I never thought Jane would go so soon. After their honeymoon they were going to settle in Vegas. Before leaving, she hugged me. “I’d miss you. Who would I share my problems with when you’re gone away? I love you.” She laughed in between tears and said, “Vegas is just a flight away. You can call me at midnight and I’ll be there. I owe you big time. This wedding had been possible only because of you.” She gave me a peck on the cheek. “Don’t spoil my makeup now. I’ll be back soon.” That was goodbye. I hated it but it was the right thing to do.

“We’re having dinner with Uncle and Aunt Thomas.” Alex said as I was changing into my night clothes.

“You didn’t tell me of them.” I asked, puzzled.

“Damn, how could I forget to introduce you to them? Uncle Will was my dad’s closest partner throughout his life. They’ve been together through thick and thin. They are virtually the only family Jane and I have left now. I respect them a lot. They came all the way from London for this wedding. They arrived late so didn’t get to meet you. I have invited them for dinner tonight.”

“Great.” I was a bit nervous. What if they didn’t approve of me?

Alex understood my uneasiness instantly. He stood beside me in front of the mirror. “Don’t worry, they’ll love you. And you don’t have to wear something formal. You look gorgeous like this. It’s going to be pretty informal anyway. They’re family.” He smiled, reassuringly. He gave me a quick kiss and pulled me downstairs.

On the table were seated Mr. and Mrs. Thomas. Even though it was ten at night, they were dressed in fresh tuxedo and gown. Beside them, was a young girl, probably older than me. She was the prettiest girl I had met. If Jane was a supermodel, she was a Disney princess. With her strawberry blonde shoulder-length locks, her majestic white gown, her sky scraper heels, I felt a bit underdressed for the occasion. I nervously hid behind Alex. Why didn’t he tell me we were meeting royalty? I should have known this was coming.

“Come on, meet them.” Alex pushed me a little forward.

“Hi……Hello Mr. and Mrs. Thomas.” I shabbily extended my hand, to which they only frowned.

The girl stood up and did a curtsy on seeing Alex. Really? Do we still do this stuff in the twenty first century at the middle of the night?

Alex went on his knees to kiss her hand. I grew a bit green with jealousy. But I knew he was doing it only out of respect. He noticed my expression and seemed to derive some morbid pleasure from it. To make me more irritated, he took the seat beside her and started talking to her.

I felt weirdly misfit in the situation. I didn’t know what to say to the Thomas’. Meanwhile they seemed to be fascinated by Alex’s and the girl’s conversation. Weird!

I coughed uncomfortably to acknowledge my presence.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Alex finally noticed me. “Let me introduce you both. This is Elizabeth, my childhood BFF.  And this is Katy.”

Katy who? Why did he feel uncomfortable as introducing me as his girlfriend?

“Hi Elizabeth.” I smiled. Elizabeth gave me a pathetic look.

All the three pair of eyes, of course Alex excepted, scrutinized my presence to be unwanted, like a speck of dust in their eyes.

“Let me go check up the dinner.” I rose uncomfortably.

“You should.” Mrs. Thomas coldly spoke.

As I entered the kitchen, I felt strangely relieved to be out of there. I wanted to stay there forever.

As I was arranging the plates, I heard two voices outside. One was definitely Mrs. Thomas. Other was a male voice, which could only be of Mr. Thomas.

“I think it’s time. We should tell him. With Jane married, it’s his turn.” Mrs. Thomas spoke.

I blushed a little inside. Were they really so impressed by me?

“You tell Elizabeth to make him fall for her in the next two days. Then when the perfect moment comes, we’ll tell him. After all, it was his father’s last wish. Our families will only be united by this wedding and it would prove beneficial to both our businesses.”

“About that Katy thing….we should get rid of her before she proves to be a hindrance. I can’t endure the way Alex was looking at her at the table. They have definitely something going on.”

“She can’t do anything. We will pressurize him. He is under his father’s debt. It’s his duty.”

What did I just hear?

What will happen next? Will Katy give in to Mr. and Mrs. Thomas’ plan? Or will she fight for her love? Wait for the next chapter to find out.

{ Vote if you liked what you read. It is a great motivation for me. I'll love you forever. Leave your comments down below to let me know what you think, and add it to your reading list/follow me so you don't miss out on the next update! <3 xoxo }