Prologue

I held Megan in my arms, as she faded away. There was a hole in her shirt from the bullet.

"I love you, Alessa." She said, struggling to speak.

"I love you too, Meg." I told her.

Then, everything went still. The agents that killed her just watched, mesmerized by the sight.

"What should we do with the child?" One asked after the silence.

"Kill her or leave her to die on the streets. I could care less.
It's not like she's a mutant." He said.

Maybe they didn't know it then, but that would be their last day before they were hunted down and lost their lives in much more painful ways.

"You killed her! You killed my sister!" I screamed at the agent who had shot the gun. The faucet and shower head shook, and the pipes burst.

"Sir, what's going on!" He yelled to the other agent.

"She's a mutant!" Another screamed.

They ran, but the water flows through the room. It flowed right past me, and I looked around. I dragged Megan down the stairs to the ground floor, and went down to the pier. There were four girls there, three of which would become my unofficial guardians.

"Is she gone?" One asked.

I nodded, and the tears started streaming down my face. I dipped my feet into the water.

"Rikki, she's in danger." One of the girls said.

"I know, Emma." Rikki answered as she picked me up out of the water.

Emma had a towel and wrapped me in it, and the third girl was still talking to the first one, who had Megan's body.

"I'll bury her so deep, that nobody will ever be able to find her." The first girl assured me.

I nodded, and she dove into the water, sporting a beautiful orange tail. She held Megan in the bridal position, and swam off.

"We'll take good care of you." Rikki said.

"Cleo, can you carry her?" Emma asked.

Cleo nodded, and carried me as they swam to Mako Island.

That was my home for the next thirteen years.